Textkit Logo

Translation from Orberg Cap XL.

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Translation from Orberg Cap XL.

Postby pmda » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:18 pm

"O Sol, qui omnia terrarum opera flammis tuis illustras, tuque Iuno, testis harum curarum, et Furiae ultrices , audite preces nostras [meas]: Si necesse est virum impium terram Italiae attingere et sic fata poscunt - at bello et hostium armis ex finibus suis pulsus auxilium imploret videatque indigna suorum funera.

O Sun, who all of the works of the earth light with your flames, and you Iuno, a witness to these cares, and the avenging Furies, hear my pleas: if it is necessary that the sinful man reach the land of Italy and it is this that the fates ask - then let him, attacked from across his borders, beg for help and let him see the ignominious death of his (companions).

Does this look OK. I'm not translating as a rule but I just want to confirm that I've got the right end of the stick.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Re: Translation from Orberg Cap XL.

Postby Qimmik » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:18 pm

bello et hostium armis ex finibus suis pulsus - "driven out of his territories (literally 'borders') by war and the arms (weaponry) of his enemies'

Otherwise, it looks good.
Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: Translation from Orberg Cap XL.

Postby pmda » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:06 pm

That's great. Thanks.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Latin