Non est tibi divina parens

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Non est tibi divina parens

Post by pmda »

In Orberg LLPSI scribitur:

Eum talia dicentem Dido aversa intuetur huc illuc volvens oculos, et sic ira accensa fatur: "Non est tibi divina parens, perfide, sed dura saxa te genuerunt tigresque ubera tibi admoverunt!

(as) he was saying these things Dido, having turned away, her eyes moving here and there, and inflamed with anger spoke: ...

Cur 'divina'? : divina (mandata)?.

You are not obeying divine orders...? It is not to you (dat) obeying divine orders..?

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: Non est tibi divina parens

Post by Qimmik »

non est tibi divina parens - "there is not a divine female parent to you" = "you don't have a divine female parent" = "your mother is not a goddess"

In her anger at Aeneas, Dido denies that his mother was the goddess Venus. (Aeneas was supposed to be the son of Venus and Anchises, a mortal Dardanian prince). Instead, she says, rocks gave birth to him and female tigers breast-fed him.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Re: Non est tibi divina parens

Post by pmda »

Quimmik many thanks... I was looking at parens as a participle and thinking that it was a participle of pario I thought of the meaning you point out... but I forgot that parens, -entis (m/f) = pater / mater is also a word..... Many thanks.