Textkit Logo

Latin Grammar, by Dirk Panhuis

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.

Moderator: thesaurus

Latin Grammar, by Dirk Panhuis

Postby whsiv » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:38 pm

Does anybody use or is anybody familiar with Dirk Panhuis' Latin Grammar. I myself have been a devoted fan of Allen & Greenough since my undergraduate days, but, after a quick look through, I think that Panhuis has something special going for it.

The focus seems to be on linguistics and Panhuis pays particular attention to "The Sentence and Its Parts" and word order/Textlinguistics (as it's called in the book). Word order, I think, is a particularly tough nut to crack, and Panhuis offers some great food for thought in the latter half of this grammar. It's rife with technical terms, but it is a refreshing look at the topic.

For what it's worth, Panhuis received his PhD at the University of Michigan, a school famed for its unique approach to learning Latin (see Latin for Reading, an introductory textbook developed at and published by the school). I can see that some of his training there found its way into his Latin Grammar.

In any case, it seems to be a great addition to any Latinist's bookshelf, and it's not that expensive (less than $20). I'm thinking I'll get myself a copy.
whsiv
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin