Textkit Logo

Latin Grammar, by Dirk Panhuis

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Latin Grammar, by Dirk Panhuis

Postby whsiv » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:38 pm

Does anybody use or is anybody familiar with Dirk Panhuis' Latin Grammar. I myself have been a devoted fan of Allen & Greenough since my undergraduate days, but, after a quick look through, I think that Panhuis has something special going for it.

The focus seems to be on linguistics and Panhuis pays particular attention to "The Sentence and Its Parts" and word order/Textlinguistics (as it's called in the book). Word order, I think, is a particularly tough nut to crack, and Panhuis offers some great food for thought in the latter half of this grammar. It's rife with technical terms, but it is a refreshing look at the topic.

For what it's worth, Panhuis received his PhD at the University of Michigan, a school famed for its unique approach to learning Latin (see Latin for Reading, an introductory textbook developed at and published by the school). I can see that some of his training there found its way into his Latin Grammar.

In any case, it seems to be a great addition to any Latinist's bookshelf, and it's not that expensive (less than $20). I'm thinking I'll get myself a copy.
whsiv
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin