Getting the order correct

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
LTD85
Textkit Neophyte

Getting the order correct

Post by LTD85 »

I really hate to appear to abuse the forum, but I only have a single question: Is this correct...... "Libellus Imperium Romanus"? I have no background in latin, and intend this to be the title of a book I am working on about Imperial Roman Government.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Getting the order correct

Post by adrianus »

Libellus de Imperio Romano
Libellus Imperii Romani
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Caecilius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Caecilius »

If you are working on a monograph, may I ask how are you conducting research on Rome without Latin? Unless perhaps you're working on popular history?
mirantur quidem divinam speciem, sed ut simulacrum fabre politum mirantur omnes.
- Psyche et Cupido, Lucius Apuleius

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Translators translate that others may enjoy and benefit from the fruits of their labour. Let us presume that he or she is using English-language secondary and translated sources and not primary sources, Caecilius, as many writers do who don't have Latin. Even having Latin (of a sort), many academic writers would be hard-pressed to themselves translate accurately primary sources. It would be different if you want to write about new, untranslated sources. And, of course, you cannot check your sources without Latin.

Laborant interpretes ut alii fruentur utanturque. Forsit LTD85 translatis fontibus non pristinis capitulisque anglicis academicis, Caecili, utitur, ut faciunt ei artis latinae linguae non periti. Ita etiam faciunt multes scholastici, non minùs latinae grammatici (modo facile legendi non capaces), qui fontes pristinos accuratè ex sermonibus latinis vertere non possunt. Aliter sit si de novibus fontibus non jam translatis tractemus. Nec sine latinâ fontes comperiri possunt.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Caecilius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Caecilius »

Of course, Adrianus, and it was a mere question out of curiosity. But understandably it is a little different if one is titling their work in Latin itself, although I do say it sounds like popular history. As someone who conducts academic research in French history, there'd be no way you could do this based simply on English translations - up to a master's level, perhaps, but definitely not for a doctorate or anything as serious as a monograph.
mirantur quidem divinam speciem, sed ut simulacrum fabre politum mirantur omnes.
- Psyche et Cupido, Lucius Apuleius

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Let a work be judged on its merits. Any shortcomings may be due to a lack of Latin.

Meritum erit opus ut dignum. Tunc, si defectus sint, defectus inopiae latinitatis imputentur.