Help needed

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Help needed

Post by adrianus »

Apparet = impersonal // usus impersonalis

id qua ratione consecutus sit non latet = "It is not unknown what was the reason he should/might have pulled it off", I think (he wasn't able to succeed before so obviously it wouldn't have been thanks to him that he should do so) —subjunctive because a question clause// subjunctivo modo quod quaestio, ut opinor

vel "id qua ratione consecutus sit latet" [?] = "It is unknown what was the reason he succeeded" (quaestio ergo subjunctivo modo)

eius operâ is ablative, fem. sing. // ablativo casu masculini generis singulariter est

nisi qui aut eius hospitio contineretur aut se illius fore proprium fide confirmarat.
=
unless one who was sustained by his patronage/hospitality or who would have sworn himself to thereafter belong to him (sworn to be going to be one of his own men)

I'd rate this at 40% difficulty, but I'm not fluent and I make mistakes.
Meâ sententiâ qui latinum non facundè loquor, porrò non semper rectus ego, in quadragesimâ centesimâ parte scalae est difficultatis.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: Help needed

Post by Qimmik »

Lysander the Lacedaemonian left behind a great reputation [opinion of himself], more by luck than by merit. For he seems to have defeated the Athenians waging war against the Peloponnesian in the 26th year [of the war]. By what means he achieved this [subjunctive because it is an indirect question] is not clear.

Elated by this victory, Lysander , while he had always been aggressively partisan [factiosus] and presumptuous [audax], indulged himself to such an extent [Lewis & Short: "took such liberties"] that by his agency [through his fault, on account of his activities; opera mea, tua, eius is an idiom] the Lacedaemonians came into the greatest hatred of Greece [subjective genitive, i.e., they became extremely detested by the rest of Greece].

For everywhere, those who favored Athenian policies having been expelled, he delegated ten men in each city-state to whom he [Lysander] committed the highest dominion and power over all things. No one was allowed to become part of [was admitted to] this group [in numerum eorum], except someone who was bound by his [Lysander's] patronage [eius [Lysander's] hospito contineretur] or who had confirmed by faithfulness that he [the subject, se in indirect speech] would belong to him [Lysander, proprium illius]. [The last clause is a little obscure to me., but that's the general drift: Lysander appointed only men who had confirmed that they would be his men.]

Hope this helps. It's not too difficult, but it's somewhat idiomatic.