Textkit Logo

In hexameter poetry, is this a good use of elision?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.

Moderator: thesaurus

In hexameter poetry, is this a good use of elision?

Postby Anthony Appleyard » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:44 am

In one of my occasional ventures into writing Latin poetry, the topic turned to combatting poaching by weekend scuba divers in a shellfish fishing area: the fishermen's patrol craft "e furtu cancror(um) alienor(um) // inhibet" with two elisions including a hypermeter: "stops [them] from theft of other people's crabs": as the two elided words were interrupted, so the shellfish poaching was interrupted. Is this an acceptable form? ('//' means end of line.)

I read that a space between words after 4½ feet (in a non-spondaic line) sounds awkward, but here the first elision makes sure that the first syllables of the 5th and 6th feet are both stressed.
Anthony Appleyard
Textkit Neophyte

Re: In hexameter poetry, is this a good use of elision?

Postby adrianus » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:49 am

De hoc aliēnōrum verbo, etiamsi elisa est ultima syllaba, manet in penultimâ (scilicet -nō-) non antepenultimâ (-ē-) vis, ut mihi videtur. Nonné rectus sum?

With regard to aliēnōrum and eliding the last syllable, I imagine the spoken stress to still remain on the -nō- syllable ali-||-ēnō'r(um), not shift to the antepenultimate ali-||-ē'nōr(um). Is that not right?
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: In hexameter poetry, is this a good use of elision?

Postby Anthony Appleyard » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:59 pm

adrianus wrote:With regard to [i]aliēnōrum and eliding the last syllable, I imagine the spoken stress to still remain on the -nō- syllable ali-||-ēnō'r(um), not shift to the antepenultimate ali-||-ē'nōr(um). Is that not right?

Uhh, yes, thanks for pointing it out.
Anthony Appleyard
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin