Deponent verbs

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
ivan
Textkit Neophyte

Deponent verbs

Post by ivan »

Hi!

I want to know why deponent verbs exist in latin language? How did they start to exist? Or, if it isn't known, then maybe you have some idea on how they started to exist.

Thanks!

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Deponent verbs

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salve Ivane!

I am no history-of-language buff, but a quick search on the internet gave the following link to a paper (PDF, 182 KB which has a section about this topic: 3.1 Genesis of Deponents: Organic or Analogous. I have given it only a brief glance, but it seems to fit your bill.

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

ivan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ivan »

Gratias tibi ago!

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Verba deponentia delenda sunt...
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Anthony Appleyard
Textkit Member

Post by Anthony Appleyard »

Some deponent verbs likely started as a middle-and-passive form of some now-lost active verb. For example with "sequor" = "I follow" : Greek still has the active form: 'hepo_' = "I am engaged with", "I am busy about" :: 'hepomai' = "I follow".