Phrase for 'watch dog'

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
kembreg
Textkit Member

Phrase for 'watch dog'

Post by kembreg »

Hi all.

I'm looking for a good phrase for 'watch dog'
Italian has 'cane di guardia'.
French has 'chien de garde'.
Spanish has 'perro guardián'
Catalan has 'gos guardià'
Occitan has 'canh de guarda'

Any ideas for Latin?

"Canis ...".

Thanks,

David

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

Bacci indicates that Columella has 'vigilans canis'. Quicherat is giving 'excubitor canis (Columella)' and 'defensores canes (Varro)'. I could'nt see immediately a equivalent word in Cicero or Caesar. So I think you have to do with that.

Vale,

Moerus Lovaniensis

kembreg
Textkit Member

Post by kembreg »

Thanks for the reply.

With so many romance languages having a word "guard", there must have been a similar latin word from which it comes from.

Any idea what this word could be?

David

Iulianus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Iulianus »

David,

'Guard' was originally a Germanism that spread into French and other Romance languages (and English) in the early middle ages. It's actually derived from the Althochdeutsch 'warten' which meant 'to see', and came to mean 'to look after'.

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

And to complete the reply of Iulianus: From German and the Romance languages this word was also latinized in the Renaissance period. The lexique de la prose latine de la Renaissance indicates it as guardia. So I suppose also watch dog must have been constructed with the word guardia, but only in renaissance time. This is what the lexique sais. But making my masterthese as a minor correction on his dictionnary, i can tell you en primeur that the word also appeared before. You can find it already in 1256 in the Statuta et leges ciuitatis et insulae Curzulae.
For my masterthese I had to check all possible medieval dictionnaries for every word in this lexique, so i'm sure if you would check also for 'watch dog (with guardia)', you would find it.

Iulianus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Iulianus »

Ave Moere,

Indeed 'guard' was latinized, even way before the Renaissance. It occurs in the 'Lex Visigothorum' as 'wardia', which dates from 650 a.d.

I guess what I'm trying to say, though, is that if you wanted Classical Latin translation of 'guard dog', no form with 'guard' (or 'ward') could be possible, as this germanism occurred far later.

kembreg
Textkit Member

Post by kembreg »

That's very interesting.
So if I understand correctly, it is definately not a classical word?

I think you for the info about the origins of "guardia".

Maybe you'd be interested to know that "warten" is still in the German language and means "to maintain". "Wartung" is "maintenance".

I never made the link between the words before.

Thanks,

David

kembreg
Textkit Member

Post by kembreg »

Sure.

Just do a search for "Wartung" on yahoo.

The first response is IBMs site with "Guarantee and Maintennce" in German.

David