Audio?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
cantator
Textkit Fan

Post by cantator »

Similis sum folio de quo ludunt venti.

cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Post by cdm2003 »

On the topic of audio, how do you all pronounce ais and ait? When recording myself (American accent), I pronounce ais like the English ice except with a bit of a roll from long-a to long-i, both equally accented. Exaggerated, I would make it sound "ahhhh-eeeee-s." With aio and aiunt, I treat the i as consonantal.

Any suggestions?
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae

cantator
Textkit Fan

Post by cantator »

cdm2003 wrote:On the topic of audio, how do you all pronounce ais and ait? When recording myself (American accent), I pronounce ais like the English ice except with a bit of a roll from long-a to long-i, both equally accented. Exaggerated, I would make it sound "ahhhh-eeeee-s." With aio and aiunt, I treat the i as consonantal.

Any suggestions?
I do much the same thing. Care must be taken that the combination not quite equal *two* long vowels, putting it out of proportion to any surrounding long syllables.

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

nostos wrote:and then tentatively concluded that it doesn't happen in Mexico (must be those Castillians!)
This bilabial fricative is actually valid for all Spanish-speaking people. It is not confined to Madrid.
I'm actually excited about phonetics! :oops:
Hey, you and me both, man! :D
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Gentlemen, I propose we convene on Skype to discuss this matter together as soon as possible. It's so hard to describe sound; you really just need to hear it. It would make these discussions go a lot faster, and I bet we're actually agreeing more than we realize.

I'll have more commentary later.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Sorry, no can do. I can't run Skype on Win98. But it should be possible to describe the sounds we are discussing and looking for. We can use the IPA notation for this purpose.
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Hu

Post by Hu »

Could we perhaps record the sounds we're discussing and put them on the internet for you to listen to? It would be better than nothing.

I'm up for convening and offering my opinions on pronunciation.

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

I'm interested in the phonetic logic that converts the U vocalic into a W consonantal sound. I've found that it is certainly not necessary to shift the pronunciation so far forward as English W.
My recent studies in Korean actually bear relevance to this point. In Korea, the letter for "w" is actually a combination of "u/o" and the appropriate vowel. For instance, the verb "to learn" is "pay - ooh - gi" (배우기) but in its conjugated form, "pay - weo*h - yoh" (배워요). But this really is a contraction of "pay - ooh - eoh - yoh." Notice that "ooh" (= English long u) and "eoh" (= between English "ah" and "oh") combine to make "weoh." This "w" is basically identical to the "w" glide in English. The genius of Korean is to represent the sound not by an independent grapheme but rather by the combination of the two vowels -- just as Latin does (uagio, uado, uenia, etc.)

I hope this provides at least a modicum of phonetic respectability to that underdog, the poor beset besieged and besmirched English w!

champion of all poor and underpriveleged semivocalic glides,

David

eo* can't be represented by any English vowel, lying somewhere between "ah" and "oh"

cantator
Textkit Fan

Post by cantator »

Lucus Eques wrote:Gentlemen, I propose we convene on Skype to discuss this matter together as soon as possible.
Good idea. I set up the Skype client for Linux last night, it works fine but I need a better microphone. My expensive studio mics aren't adequate for my soundcard's mic input. :)

I'll pick up a new mic today and will notify the list when I'm good to go.
It's so hard to describe sound; you really just need to hear it.
Reading Lord's quoted material I must say that the grammarians really gave it their best shot. Describing sound by the mechanics of speech is indeed a difficult task.
It would make these discussions go a lot faster, and I bet we're actually agreeing more than we realize.
Very likely. I am thinking a lot about the information shared here, it's an education for me. And my estimation of the work of the grammarians has risen ten-fold. They were doing fundamental work in linguistics before the term was known, and we do owe them a lot.

So does anyone know the birthdays of Priscian or Donatus ? I'm always looking for new reasons to celebrate... :)

cantator
Textkit Fan

Post by cantator »

cantator wrote:I'll pick up a new mic today and will notify the list when I'm good to go.
Done. Nothing like a visit to Wal-Mart at 7 AM to jump-start the day.

Lucus, we'll need to run some tests, I'm still getting the hang of using Skype (it's pretty easy though) and my audio system. I definitely need to fiddle with some mixer settings for the best balance, but it appears to be working now.

So how do we make a conference call via Skype ?

cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Post by cdm2003 »

cantator wrote: So how do we make a conference call via Skype ?
I'd like to join in, if that's okay...I'm still at the early stages of learning how to read Latin aloud and would benefit greatly from hearing the "big-guns" discussing the finer points.

Thanks,
Chris
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Cantator, my Skype name is SignorAmadeo, and that's all we need. Just message me, or give me your Skype name here, and tell me a time when you'd like to meet and I'll tell you if I can be there. Then we can invite any other's who'd like to join.

Ditto for the others. I'd like to talk to everyone individually, or as a group; I would enjoy the experience. As for conference call, it's a button in the upper right hand corner; easy to do.

Valetote.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

TADW_Elessar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by TADW_Elessar »

Then we can invite any other's who'd like to join.
Sure. Do let me know ;)

cantator
Textkit Fan

Post by cantator »

Lucus Eques wrote:Cantator, my Skype name is SignorAmadeo, and that's all we need. Just message me, or give me your Skype name here, and tell me a time when you'd like to meet and I'll tell you if I can be there. Then we can invite any other's who'd like to join.
Okay, I have everything working well now, or as well as it's going to work with my old 800 MHz machine. Fortunately I have a fast broadband connection. There's a noticeable latency on replies, about what I would expect from making an overseas long-distance call, but the reception sound quality is 1st-rate

I am cantator1. I'm located in NW Ohio, and as I write this message the time here is about 6:15 in the morning (I'm an early riser). I'm available from noon to 3:30 Tuesday through Friday, and all day Monday. Weekends I'm in the country and probably won't be able to communicate via Skype on my antique laptop (it's only a PII 366).

I'lll probably be unavailable today, I have an article to write that must go in asap, sorry. Is there a good time for you tomorrow ?
Ditto for the others. I'd like to talk to everyone individually, or as a group; I would enjoy the experience. As for conference call, it's a button in the upper right hand corner; easy to do.
Cool, thanks !

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Great! Well, how about we meet tomorrow (Thursday) afternoon, say around 12:30 pm. Loquerisne Latine, care cantator? Iulianus et ego cras Latine loquemur, ut mos est inter nos, ergo et Latine et de rebus Latinis dicendis quacumque praeferamus lingua sermocinabimur.

As for others interested in continuing this debate uiua uoce, or who just want to have a live Latin conversation, I'll be around tomorrow afternoon from about 12:30 pm ET.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

cantator
Textkit Fan

Post by cantator »

Lucus Eques wrote:Great! Well, how about we meet tomorrow (Thursday) afternoon, say around 12:30 pm. Loquerisne Latine, care cantator?
Nequeo loquere Latine. :( Scriptor et cantator rusticus in deserto Ohio solus. Huc enim Anglico urbano nemo loquitur, ignorantia orbis totus et stupiditate se immersit. Loci in medio nulli obduro, et vicus hic suget.

But I will tune in. :)

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Certainly! But, the only way I learned to speak Latin was by trying, so you're welcome to join in and practice.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Hu

Post by Hu »

I'll try to be there, but by coincidence, my Latin conversation club (currently consisting of me and an Ancient Studies major in his last semester) meets 12-1 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I suppose I could being my laptop and use the university wireless network, though. We should finish around 12:40.

My Skype name is wayne.s.clark.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

No that's fine timing, Wayne; 1:00 is when the real Latin speaking should begin. But I'll be around before that to talk English and 'vau' stuff.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

I'm on Skype right now, and I'll be here till mid afternoon.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Hu

Post by Hu »

Well, it was fun today, even if we didn't quite get to discuss all that much about v. (Although the aspirated labiovelar hypothesis for "nix" brings interest, etsi falsum esset).

Spero vos mox auditurus esse.

cantator
Textkit Fan

Post by cantator »

Hu wrote:Spero vos mox auditurus esse.
I'm sorry to have missed the event. As it turns out, noon is not an especially good time for me. When will the next call take place ?

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Cantator, you and I could set something up this weekend. When do you have time Saturday?

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Hi,

I don't suppose there's any chance of us shy neophytes getting to hear what your discussions in Latin sound like? For example in the form of a downloadable recorded excerpt or even a brief spoken summary in Latin by one of you bold adepts.

It would be really inspiring to some of us!

Cheers,
Int

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

That sounds like a neat idea. I thought there were some way to record conversations in Skype, but I haven't yet found it. Does anyone know of it? By a summary, how do you mean?

Otherwise, Interaxe, you could just listen in on our conversations; I'm fairly sure Julian and I wouldn't mind.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

cantator
Textkit Fan

Post by cantator »

Lucus Eques wrote:That sounds like a neat idea. I thought there were some way to record conversations in Skype, but I haven't yet found it. Does anyone know of it?
The software mixer for your soundcard may include a loopback channel. This channel carries any signal and can be selected for record status, letting you record any sound passing through the card.

In Linux we have a little gem called JACK. With JACK I can route audio signals freely between applications, e.g. I could run Skype output through a reverb plugin or into an audio recorder. I'm not sure how you do the same thing in Windows or the Mac (JACK supports OSX though).

I'll check the Linux Skype client for an internal recorder. That would certainly make things easier.

Hu

Post by Hu »

According to the Skype help:
Skype help wrote:Currently you cannot record your Skypecast from within Skype, however, there are third party products that let you record conversations.
Edit: A quick Internet search brings up this.

Iulianus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Iulianus »

Lucus Eques wrote:Otherwise, Interaxe, you could just listen in on our conversations; I'm fairly sure Julian and I wouldn't mind.
Minime vero! Si alios adiuvare possim tecum ac aliis colloquens, mihi nihil molis est! Sed egomet quoque alios invitare volo ut nobiscum colloquantur, nam unum Latine audiendo melius est: colloquier scillicet!

TADW_Elessar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by TADW_Elessar »

And here I am. I gave a try to Cicero's most famous oration, the result is not excellent but I'm too tired now to continue recording (and I'm not an actor) :) . Basketball training is killing me :D

I hope you'll also find the rest of the article (and the previous ones in the "Catiline" series) interesting.

Here it is: De M. Ciceronis orationibus in Catilinam, caput tertium.

Quid de eo sentitis? :wink:

cantator
Textkit Fan

Post by cantator »

Lucus Eques wrote:Cantator, you and I could set something up this weekend. When do you have time Saturday?
Ave Lucus:

I'll be home this afternoon, not sure when I'll go back to town but I'll post a note here to let you know I'm on Skype.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Sounds good!

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

Psst. Your comments and opinions about an audio section are needed on the advisory board.

cantator
Textkit Fan

Wikipedia on Latin spelling and pronunciation

Post by cantator »

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

And here I am. I gave a try to Cicero's most famous oration, the result is not excellent but I'm too tired now to continue recording...
Quid de eo sentitis?
Matthaee, thanks for your energetic recording! The pace is perhaps more rapid and the tone a tad bit more...frantic?...than I would have expected, but the pronunciation sounds spot on to me. In fact, my main objection, at least after listening twice, is the lack of a raised pitch on the crucial "Vivit?" question. That is, it doesn't sound like a question to me.

I hope to listen to it some more, as I've been doing with the rest of the enjoyable recordings made here at textkit, in the morning as I walk to work. Maybe you can find some time to record another passage!

(If I have any more constructive advice, I'll add it later.)

Regards,

David

TADW_Elessar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by TADW_Elessar »

The pace is perhaps more rapid and the tone a tad bit more...frantic?...than I would have expected
And yes, you're right indeed :lol:
I suppose that's because I am Italian, and it seems that we use to speak quite faster than Englishmen do.
my main objection, at least after listening twice, is the lack of a raised pitch on the crucial "Vivit?" question. That is, it doesn't sound like a question to me.
I was so concentrated on pronouncing the two "v"s in quick succession and making the first "i" different from the second one that I forgot to raise the pitch in the second syllable. Maybe also because I could not without a falsetto. :D
(If I have any more constructive advice, I'll add it later.)
I'll be eagerly waiting for it ;)

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Amice, why would it be effort to pronounce the second 'i' differently from the first? It's the same sound, just longer; it comes naturally to the parlante Italiano to lengthen the stressed syllable. Anyway, you pulled it off great.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

TADW_Elessar wrote:And here I am. I gave a try to Cicero's most famous oration, the result is not excellent but I'm too tired now to continue recording (and I'm not an actor) :)

Quid de eo sentitis? :wink:
My, that certainly was... different. Good job! I love it that someone from Italia finally read some latin and decided to post it on the web. Not only because of the pronunciaton, but also the speed to which we of Mediterranean language are accustomed to. (Prose shouldn't be as affected as poetry.) Would you mind recording someday Medieval Latin? I've heard the Pope, but he has a German accent, so that's not very good.

Also, perhaps my ears are full of wax, but did I hear a bilabial fricative "v" mixed with the English W?

Vale, amice!

P.S.: Your voice reminded me of Bob Dylan :lol:

TADW_Elessar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by TADW_Elessar »

Also, perhaps my ears are full of wax, but did I hear a bilabial fricative "v" mixed with the English W?
I tried to do the first, but the latter may have slipped in in some passages ;)
Would you mind recording someday Medieval Latin?
Do you have any suggestion about the text?

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

TADW_Elessar wrote:Do you have any suggestion about the text?
So, do I take that as a yes? :D Perhaps something from St. Augustine's Confessiones? Let me look for a passage about time, and then I'll get back to ya.

Vale.

Iulianus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Iulianus »

I'd hardly say the Confessiones are Medieval Latin (Latin was stil his mother language); strictly speaking it's either Christian Latin or Late Latin.