secundi

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

secundi

Post by pmda »

In Virgilio hoc scribitur:

Di maris et terrae tempestatumque potentes,
fere viam vento facilem et spirate secundi.

I've slightly poetically translate this as ...

Gods of power over ocean, land and storms
bear the easy way with the wind and blow at our backs.

But why 'secundi' what as a genitive singular masculine adjective or as a nominative masculine plural is it qualifying..?

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Re: secundi

Post by Alatius »

Here's a rather lengthy thread discussing exactly this issue:
http://latindiscussion.com/forum/latin/ ... 529.11964/

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Interesting discussion. I can't, for the life of me, understand why they go off on (what seems to be to be) a tangent and start talking about whether 'potentes' could refer to anything other than 'Di' and then all this question of 'que' - I can't conceive of any other meaning other than that he is addressing the gods 'powerful over sea, land and storms... Unless I'm missing something (and, er, that's not an impossibility) the only really interesting post is the one arguing that a nominative plural use of 'secundi' is sometimes deployed for adverbial purposes.....but no other examples are offered which is rather frustrating. I'm surprised Orberg doesn't explain it.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Then I found http://books.google.ie/books?id=WmT6mS5 ... ly&f=false...it may be relevant ?

It talks about a genetive use...

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

O Gods who rule over sea, land and storms,
Bring an easy passage by the wind and, [as] favorable/accompanying gods, blow [us along].
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

....yes but do you have any opinion about 'secundi'...?

woodwose
Textkit Neophyte

Post by woodwose »

It looks like adrianus has taken secundi as being in apposition with the subject of spirate... i.e., nominative plural in favor of genitive singular. This brings explains the [as]. Otherwise, with no [as], it looks like he wants it to be a vocative plural.