Which declinations are used?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Boban
Textkit Member

Which declinations are used?

Post by Boban »

Which declinations are used for following nouns:

1) aenigma, atis, n.

2) lien, enis, m.

3) prominens, entis, n.

4) acer, eris, n.

5) logice, es, f.

6) embrion, i, n.

7) pecten, inis, m.

8) marmor, oris, n.

9) consul, ulis, m.

spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by spiphany »

All nouns ending in -is in the genitive are third (or "consonant") declension. I'm guessing you haven't learned about it yet, or you wouldn't be asking. They don't form their stems as regularly as first and second declension, which is why they may not look at first glance like they belong to the same system.
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)

Andrus
Textkit Member

Post by Andrus »

Hi all,

Spiphany is right about the nouns that end in –is in the genitive case. But there are two in this list I can see what are their declination:

5) Logice, es, f
6) Embrion, i, n

The first one with the genitive ending in –es I can’t place it in any declination, and Words also doesn’t help much, placing it with the 2nd declination but then I would guess to be a very irregular noun.

The second with the genitive ending in -i would be of the 2nd declination but Words doesn’t recognize it and I never saw an ending of –ion for the nominative of the 2nd declination (of course that doesn’t mean that it can’t be of the 2nd, only that I never saw it).

Maybe someone can help us with these two nouns.

Best regards,

Andrus

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Andrus wrote:Hi all,

Spiphany is right about the nouns that end in –is in the genitive case. But there are two in this list I can see what are their declination:

5) Logice, es, f
6) Embrion, i, n

The first one with the genitive ending in –es I can’t place it in any declination, and Words also doesn’t help much, placing it with the 2nd declination but then I would guess to be a very irregular noun.

The second with the genitive ending in -i would be of the 2nd declination but Words doesn’t recognize it and I never saw an ending of –ion for the nominative of the 2nd declination (of course that doesn’t mean that it can’t be of the 2nd, only that I never saw it).

Maybe someone can help us with these two nouns.

Best regards,

Andrus
Logice is a Greek loanword, here still with its Greek ending. It is usually declined according to the 1st decl., logica, ae, etc., but sometimes with Greek endings: e, es, ae, en, e. Plural (if it exists of Greek loanwords ending in e) is regular according to the 1st decl.

I can't find embryon or any similar word in a Latin dictionary, but some Greek loanwords keep there ending in -on and decline like 2nd decl. neuters. The only forms that are different from the regular Latin forms are the nom. and acc. sing. in on.

Hope this helps.

Ingrid

Andrus
Textkit Member

Post by Andrus »

Thanks Ingrid for the information. I already had read somewhere that some Greek words kept their declination scheme while being used in Latin, but never knew they could be used with a mixture of both declination schemes.

Best regards,

Andrus