Textkit Logo

A strange word for which, seemingly, there is no account

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

A strange word for which, seemingly, there is no account

Postby Lumen_et_umbra » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:30 pm

[face=SPIonic]<br />SI QVA SIGNIFICATIO VIRTVTIS ELVCEAT AD QVAM SE SIMILIS ANIMVS ADPLICET ET ADIVNGAT.<br />[/face]<br /><br />If any sign of virtue should shine forth, to which a similar disposition may attach itself.<br /><br /><br />I have never ecountered the word "QVA" (without a macron). Can anyone help?<br /><br />Note: underlined letters signify letters with macrons - that should have been pretty obvious. :)
phpbb
Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Re:A strange word for which, seemingly, there is no account

Postby benissimus » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:45 pm

According to the Words dictionary, QVA can mean "anything/anyone." In this case it would mean "If any sign..." just as you put. In poetic senses, sometimes letters which should be long are shortened as well, but I don't know the context, and it seems to make sense the way you put.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Lumen_et_umbra » Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:01 pm

I was unable to find the word in my dictionary. What is the title of yours? Mine now seems a bit inadequate.
phpbb
Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Postby benissimus » Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:05 pm

http://lysy2.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/words.exe<br />It doesn't show the macrons, but I was able to tell it was the same, since it recorded it as being in the nominative.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Lumen_et_umbra » Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:46 pm

Thanks for your help!
phpbb
Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Postby Magistra » Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:07 am

There's an old saying (from way before my time!):<br /><br />After si, nisi, num & ne<br />all the ali-'s fall away.<br /><br />Here qua represents aliqua (nom. sing. f.) (= any) to agree with significatio.<br /><br /><br />SI QVA SIGNIFICATIO VIRTVTIS ELVCEAT AD QVAM SE SIMILIS ANIMVS ADPLICET ET ADIVNGAT.<br /><br />Magistra<br /><br /><br />Quote:<br />If any sign of virtue should shine forth, to which a similar disposition may attach itself.<br /><br /><br />I have never ecountered the word "QVA" (without a macron). Can anyone help?<br />
phpbb
Magistra
Textkit Member

Postby Skylax » Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:07 am

[quote author=Lumen_et_umbra link=board=3;threadid=535;start=0#4721 date=1061593272]<br />I was unable to find the word in my dictionary. What is the title of yours? Mine now seems a bit inadequate.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Check aliqui, aliqua, aliquod. Here, qua is a short form of aliqua found before si, nisi, ne, num (thus the Latin said si qua, nisi qua, ne qua, num qua instead of *si aliqua, etc. You find also quis, quid in the same cases instead of aliquis, aliquid.
Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to Learning Latin