What does the following Latin tag mean?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Orexis
Textkit Neophyte

What does the following Latin tag mean?

Post by Orexis »

Source: Dictionary of National Biography

Reynolds, Walter d. 1327

Reynolds seems to have been one of those evil-living, secular-minded clerks whom Edward I did not scruple to use in his rougher business, and did not hesitate to add to the household of Edward, his young son. He is said to have been made the prince's tutor. Anyhow, he became the chief favourite and confidant of the young prince, who describes him as one ‘qui a nostro ætatis primordio nostris insistens obsequiis, secreta præ cæteris nostra novit’ (Federa, ii. 101; cf. Sussex Archæol. Coll. ii. 87).

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: What does the following Latin tag mean?

Post by Skylax »

Orexis wrote:Source: Dictionary of National Biography

Reynolds, Walter d. 1327

Reynolds seems to have been one of those evil-living, secular-minded clerks whom Edward I did not scruple to use in his rougher business, and did not hesitate to add to the household of Edward, his young son. He is said to have been made the prince's tutor. Anyhow, he became the chief favourite and confidant of the young prince, who describes him as one ‘qui a nostro ætatis primordio nostris insistens obsequiis, secreta præ cæteris nostra novit’ (Federa, ii. 101; cf. Sussex Archæol. Coll. ii. 87).
one "who since the very beginning of our life (lifetime?), continuing in our obedience (or "allegiance" - I understand "being continuously obedient/alleged to us"), does know our secrets better than the others."

As usual : it is my English that matters. :oops:

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: What does the following Latin tag mean?

Post by nostos »

Skylax wrote:As usual : it is my English that matters. :oops:
Skylax, how come? I really am curious; you've written this statement several times (your English appears to me perfect and extremely nuanced). Is English one of your foreign languages (with presumably French or Dutch being your first?) If so I can't tell.