Latin/English books

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Aeolus
Textkit Neophyte

Latin/English books

Post by Aeolus »

Salve,<br /><br />I am looking for books that have both the Latin and the English translation in them, specifically the Illiad and the Odyssey. I had two semesters of Latin a few years ago and I'm trying to get back into it. I have been going through some of the begginning courses, but I think it would be fun to try a book, especially since I haven't read either in quite a while. I know there are books like that out there, because I have a copy of Beowulf in English and in Finnish(maybe another language, don't really know). <br /><br />Thanks<br />

Elucubrator
Global Moderator

Re:Latin/English books

Post by Elucubrator »

Aeolus,<br /><br />there are books out there that have the Latin on one page and a modern translation on the facing page. In English these editions are part of the Loeb Classical Library series.<br /><br />Nevertheless, you will not find the Iliad or the Odyssey in Latin. There was a translation of the Odyssey made into Latin Saturnian verses by a slave named Livius Andronicus at one time. It was quite a sensation, but I don't think this is the one you had in mind. ;) <br /><br />The Iliad and the Odyssey are both Greek epics. <br /><br />amicably,<br /><br />J. Sebastian Pagani