Textkit Logo

Averroes with lots of quod

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Averroes with lots of quod

Postby Rufus Coppertop » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:16 pm

This heads a chapter of a Latin translation of "The Incoherence of the Incoherence" by Averroes.

De destructione eius, quod dicunt, quod Deus gloriosus absit, ignorat particularia.....etc

Would I be correct in thinking that the second quod, is the adverb meaning "in respect of which"?

So -

de destructione eius quod dicunt - regarding its refutation which they say

quod Deus gloriosus absit - in respect of which (thing they say) may glorious God be far from,

ignorat particularia blah blah etc - he is ignorant of particulars blah blah etc.

Also, would I be alone in thinking that it's not very good Latin?
Rufus Coppertop
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Averroes with lots of quod

Postby adrianus » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:47 pm

Idem significat utrum "quod" pronomen, ut puto, Rufe Rutile. Magis autem primum pronomen, secundum conjunctio. Non mala est latinitas, nisi fallor, at non classica:
Both the same, I think, at least in English, "that". No, rather the first is a pronoun, the second is a "conjunction". I think the Latin is OK, though not classical:

"On the refutation of that which they say, that glorious God may be at a distance, that he ignores particulars..."
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Latin