Aeneid 4.445

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Aeneid 4.445

Post by vir litterarum »

"ipsa[the oak tree] haeret scopulis et quantum vertice ad auras/ aetherias, tantum radice in Tartara tendit:" I translated this, " it clings to the rocks and as far as the peak stretches to the ethereal breezes, so far does the root stretch into Tartarus. I do not understand why vertex and and radix are in the ablative case.

mraig
Textkit Member

Post by mraig »

The oak tree is still the subject, and the ablatives are of location, perhaps:

As far as it (the oak) stretches to the ethereal breezes at its peak, so far it stretches to Tartarus at its root.

An ablative will never ever ever be the subject of a finite verb.

Thucydides
Textkit Fan

Post by Thucydides »

Vergil loves locatival ablatives... or any other vague sort of ablative for that matter.

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

Vergil loves locatival ablatives... or any other vague sort of ablative for that matter.
True enough, but in this case they seem to be instrumental ablatives. The tree is reaching toward the sky with its crown, reaching toward Tartarus with its roots. location is indicated in this sentence (miselli lectores gratias ei agamus!) with "ad" and "in" (except for "scopulis haeret"). I guess the alternate reading is possible - locative ablative, but instrumental makes more sense to me.

-david

*edited (eo -> ei)
Last edited by bellum paxque on Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thucydides
Textkit Fan

Post by Thucydides »

Trying to translate "sunt lacrima rerum" will make you realise how "poetic" Vergil's use of cases is.