answer guide/key to wheelocks?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
MDS
Textkit Fan

answer guide/key to wheelocks?

Post by MDS »

Hello all,<br />I am very, very new to the world of Latin and while I am finding it an exciting challenge (not to mention having to relearn a substantial portion of English grammar!) I have thus far been unable to find an answer guide (either online or elsehwere) for Wheelocks Latin 6e. Does anyone know if one exists or the location of good websites I could check? Trying to get through it before September when school starts up again and the time crunch worsens...<br />-MDS

klewlis
Global Moderator

Re:answer guide/key to wheelocks?

Post by klewlis »

which edition do you have? mine is the 6th and it has an answer key right in the back of the book...<br /><br />if yours doesn't have that i'm sure one can be bought.<br /><br />check out http://www.hfac.uh.edu/mcl/faculty/arms ... h1.html<br /><br />there doesn't seem to be a menu but by changing the last bit to Wh.ch2.html, Wh.ch3.html, etc, I got as far as lesson 9.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Thanks for the prompt reply! Wouldnt you know that when I flipped to the back I noticed the page numbers jumping which obviously denotes a book defect. While I'm at the bookstore exchanging it should I pick up the "Workbook for wheelocks latin 3rd ed" or is that superfluous?<br />MDS :)

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I don't have the extra workbook so I'm not sure... however, there's a ton of stuff on the internet that is designed to accompany Wheelock, including interactive quizzes, crossword puzzles, etc. Just google for wheelock exercises and you'll find a bunch of sites that are free, so they might be better than the extra workbook and give you some variety.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Did you mean an answer key for the chapter specific assignments? I don't believe that those exist. The key in the back of the book is only for the Optional Self-Tutorial which is still pretty useful. Textkit is actually a living answer key ;D so if you choose to, you can use this forum to ask questions. The accompanying workbook is VERY easy, but may be a necessity since you are doing it on your own.

UPDATE: answer key is here viewtopic.php?p=10356
Last edited by benissimus on Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

Benissimus is correct. The keys in the back of the book are only for the self-tutorial sections.<br /><br />Note:<br /> <br /> I have begun to find Wheelock's Latin to be a bit... sucky. Not to say that it is grammatically incorrect in any wise. However, it seems to be lacking elaborations on certain topics discussed; it leaves as many questions unanswered as answered questions

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I've yet to see a beginner's grammer--for either latin or greek--that does not have that same pitfall... I suppose that there's only so much you can say in one shot, and wheelock is a big enough book as it is ;)

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

I agree with you. I certainly believe it is a good book for a beginner, but a book for a beginner it still is and, thus, leaves much to be desired.

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

I agree that Wheelocks does have its problems (in fact I was told to pick up the 3rd edition of it if possible) but compared to the Ecce Romani, Oxford and Cambridge I thought it was much more comprehensive. You are free to disagree. 8)