fut. pass. imp?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Deccius
Textkit Neophyte

fut. pass. imp?

Post by Deccius »

Hi everyone,

I don't know if this has already been brought up, but is there a future passive imperative? It's really hard to find any info on this (let alone the future imperative). Also, how do you use the 3rd person of future imperatives (active and passive)? Is it sort of like a hortatory subjunctive?

Thanks,
Deccius

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: fut. pass. imp?

Post by benissimus »

Deccius wrote:Hi everyone,

I don't know if this has already been brought up, but is there a future passive imperative?
yes
It's really hard to find any info on this (let alone the future imperative).
Also, how do you use the 3rd person of future imperatives (active and passive)? Is it sort of like a hortatory subjunctive?
A&G § 449 gives a decent explanation of the usage of the future imperative. The future imperative forms, including the passive ones, are included in the conjugation charts (basically you add an r to the active ones). I have yet to see a future 3rd person imperative outside of a grammar book, or present passive imperative for that matter (except with deponents).
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

Noster benissimus dixit
I have yet to see a future 3rd person imperative outside of a grammar book, or present passive imperative for that matter (except with deponents).
Salve,

I'm not sure if you'll count this in the latter category, but I came across this recently in the Aeneid:

Quin ubi transmissae steterint trans aequora classes
et positis aris iam vota in litore solves,
purpureo velare comas adopertus amictu,
ne qua inter sanctos ignis in honore deorum
hostilis facies occurat et omnia turbet.
(III.403-407)

The middle line could be rendered, I think like this: "Covered in a purple robe, veil your hair."

The note at the back says, "velare: imperative passive, used in a middle sense."

Comas, I suppose, is greek accusative of respect used with a part of the body after a verb in the middle voice.

This is probably not a representative example, but I thought it was curious enough to post here.

-David