Which book should I start with ?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Nihil_Sine_Deo
Textkit Neophyte

Which book should I start with ?

Post by Nihil_Sine_Deo »

D'ooge, Collar & Daniell, Wheelocks . . . ?

For the absolute beginner.

Andrus
Textkit Member

Post by Andrus »

Hi Nihil_Sine_Deo,

The fact that are 3 subforums each dedicated to one book indicates that you will receive many different answers to your question, since which one of us likes one of these books.

You also will be told about Lingua Latina Familia Romana, but that I will leave to Lucus Eques :wink:

I have been study with D’Oodge and I like the book, so my recommendation would be that book. But I think the fundamental is work and to study every day, even if it is only one hour. I can’t say I have managed the last part of my advice but I do try to have some time to my Latin study on everyday.

And you always have these boards to get help wherever you got stuck in your study.

Wellcome to TextKit,

Andrus

Nihil_Sine_Deo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nihil_Sine_Deo »

Thank you Andrus.

The downloaded file for Dooge does not open on my computer. Is there a key ?

Kip
Textkit Neophyte

latin

Post by Kip »

It is a PDF file, so you'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open the file I think. There is a "key", but it is the answer key to D'Ooge's exercises. Also, I think you have to register or something.

As for which book...I use 4. D'Ooge, Wheelock, Colliars and my Idiots Guide for Latin beginners. I use them concurrently for cross referrencing and exercises. Right now I am using Wheelocks. I am practicing the 1st, and 2nd conjugations and memorizing the paradigms...which I should have done in the first place. Now I am taking my time and doing the exercises over and over to help remember and understand syntax and whatnot. Never hurts to have more than one book. I also use WORDS for my translation help and I also use Lingua Latina to practice my memory for Verbs, Nouns (all cases) and Pronouns. Old program, but effective...for me anyway. Make sure you join the Textkit program here...very good and it has helped me a great deal in learning words.

Andrus
Textkit Member

Post by Andrus »

Hi Nihil,

If you do have Adobe Acrobate Reader then I don’t know what the problem is, since I can open and download the file.

I thought that you need to register only to download the file with the answers key, but not to download the file with the book. If you still can’t open and save the file please contact one of the moderators or administrators.

Anyway register is a very great idea since it gives you access to the answers key that is very helpful to the study.

Hope this helps. And good luck with your Latin study.

Andrus

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

Hey Nihil, I recommend Wheelock's, but it's the only book I've used besides Latin for Dummies, or the Idiot's Guide (I forot which one, but it was some Latin for a Lesser Intellect publication :lol: )
But I think the fundamental is work and to study every day, even if it is only one hour. I can’t say I have managed the last part of my advice but I do try to have some time to my Latin study on everyday.
Andrus was correct in saying that the most important thing is studying every day. It's hard, though, if you don't have a class, but it can be done without too much stress.
good luck! :)
vale