vocative of Gnaeus

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

vocative of Gnaeus

Post by ingrid70 »

what would be the vocative of Gnaeus?<br />Gnaee? Gnaeus? I've tried to search Perseus with one of those find a word in all available texts tools, but I can't find anything.<br /><br />Ingrid, curiouser and curiouser :).

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Re:vocative of Gnaeus

Post by Episcopus »

If Perseus has anything to do with it in Dr. B.L.D's book it is written Persei but you didn't want to know that one did you?

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Nope, I could figure that one out myself ;). I meant the Perseus website, if you look at the Links board, you'll see what I mean. <br /><br />Ingrid

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

It is either Gnai:, or Gnaeus.<br /><br />Like <br /> Mi: Amice

adz000
Textkit Member

Post by adz000 »

General rule for the Vocative:<br />The Vocative is like the Nominative in all declensions except for the second when the nouns end in -us.<br /><br />When a 2nd declension noun ends in -us the Vocative ending is a short -e, thus Marce, amice, and consequently Gnaee. Two of the same vowels next to each other is never a problem, since they are pronounced separately and the first 'e' belongs to the diphthong 'ae'.<br /><br />A subset of this exception is when the 2nd declension noun ends in -ius. Here the vocative is a long -i; the vocatives of filius and genius are therefore fili and geni, oh and don't forget Vergili. <br /><br />Those are the only exceptions to the vocative rule that I know, but there are probably be others I don't. Sometimes words have strange vocatives like meus becoming mi (not so strange if one considers what happens to nouns ending in -ius).<br /><br />Is there a Gnaeus you plan to address? If so, do you intend to use "O" or not?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

One example of another strange vocative is the vocative of deus which is rare in the singular, but has several variations. I believe the two main ones are de and dee.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

Another common form of Deus in the vocative is Deus - If it is not the only form of which I am aware.

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

The vocative of Deus is Deus ( there is also a form Dee, but it occures very late and is very rare! De is never seen as vocative). The vocative of populus is also populus (although in ecclesiastical Latin Popule meus ...).<br /><br />I looked in al the grammers that I have here (about 20 in different languages and very good ones) and I didn' found anything about the vocative of Gnaeus. So I suppose it follows the general rule et ea de causa omnes dicere possumus 'Gnaee', cum Gnaeum vocamus. Tam facile est.<br /><br />Valete, <br /><br />Philippus Moerus.

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Thanks a lot, all of you. I've just started reading The October Horse by Colleen McCullough, and I was wondering about it. Gnaee looked so funny.<br /><br />Ingrid

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=ingrid70 link=board=3;threadid=468;start=0#3946 date=1060935167]<br />Thanks a lot, all of you. I've just started reading The October Horse by Colleen McCullough, and I was wondering about it. Gnaee looked so funny.<br /><br />Ingrid<br />[/quote]<br /><br />AAAHHHH!!!! Is that book out??? Bookstore, here I come!!<br /><br />Kilmeny

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

[quote author=Moerus link=board=3;threadid=468;start=0#3930 date=1060908275]<br />The vocative of Deus is Deus ( there is also a form Dee, but it occures very late and is very rare! De is never seen as vocative). The vocative of populus is also populus (although in ecclesiastical Latin Popule meus ...).<br /><br />I looked in al the grammers that I have here (about 20 in different languages and very good ones) and I didn' found anything about the vocative of Gnaeus. So I suppose it follows the general rule et ea de causa omnes dicere possumus 'Gnaee', cum Gnaeum vocamus. Tam facile est.<br /><br />Valete, <br /><br />Philippus Moerus.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Ah yes, my mistake. I knew that there were two vocatives, but I wrote the wrong one. What would I do without people to correct me when I err?
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae