You opinions on the accuracy of these poetry recordings...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
reltuk
Textkit Neophyte

You opinions on the accuracy of these poetry recordings...

Post by reltuk »

Salvete!

I was wonder if anyone had comments on the records appearing at this site:

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~classics/po ... oetry.html

Are they consistent with what you learned / how you pronounce Latin? Any major complaints?

I'm trying to find some faithful recording off the internet, so I know what it's supposed to sound like, although I realize that in the long run I'll probably splurge and buy the recordings to Lingua Latina (although I'm not sure if they're good or not...).

--reltuk

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I think those are pretty accurate, but I wonder why they all sound so grave reading poetry; the guy reading Cicero I particularly liked. I notice in Coleman's recordings that she pronounces 'o' as in "hot" sometimes, which is inaccurate if I am hearing her right.

Someones tastes are bound to be offended by the recordings (just wait...)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

benissimus wrote:Someones tastes are bound to be offended by the recordings (just wait...)
:lol:

Like mine. I recognise that it's just a matter of preference, but..

Agreed, they do sound grave reading poetry, like they were reading last rites. And the accent just ain't Latinised enough - from the perspective of one who's grown up listening to Spanish pronounced the way it should be pronounced, damn it, not like those stupid Spaniards do it!

(My best friend married an Andaluz, from Andalucilandia :P, so if you know the accent you can see where this comes from!)

Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bardo de Saldo »

Coleman's Latin (Ovid) is passable, her recitation skills aren't. Clausen (Virgil) should not be allowed anywhere near a microphone. Thomas (Cicero) does quite well, sounds like the only one who practiced his lines.

I can't wait to hear your Cantimflatin, nostos. Canadians are so smart, that after every phrase they have to ask themselves what they just said, eh? 8)

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

We don't do that, eh? What would give you that impression, eh?

I think it aboot time you gave up your mistaken beliefs.

Eh?

:P

I only wish that I didn't have an accent in Spanish. I do. It's not a gringo accent; it seems rather undefinable. So nope, you won't get to hear my cantinflada, because in all seriousness I would probably sound more garbled than them.

But we were asked to be (I shudder at the word) Critics!