Word order

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Amaranta
Textkit Neophyte

Word order

Post by Amaranta »

Word order is giving me difficulties here. Particularly what I'm concerned with is the bit in italics (though any other corrections or suggestions would be very gladly accepted.)

English: Now, Titus, we are going to the hostile town, but soon we shall fight with the inhabitants by means of words and weapons.

Latin: Nunc, Tite, ad oppidum inimicum imus, sed mox cum incolis verbis et armis pugnabimus.

Thanks so much.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: Word order

Post by benissimus »

Amaranta wrote:Word order is giving me difficulties here. Particularly what I'm concerned with is the bit in italics (though any other corrections or suggestions would be very gladly accepted.)

English: Now, Titus, we are going to the hostile town, but soon we shall fight with the inhabitants by means of words and weapons.

Latin: Nunc, Tite, ad oppidum inimicum imus, sed mox cum incolis verbis et armis pugnabimus.
So as not to mistake all the ablatives as being governed by the one prepositon, you might reword that bit, e.g. verbis et armis cum incolis pugnabimus. For "hostile town" I would be more inclined to use the adjective hostilis or genitive of hostes.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae