Vita est Brevis

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
hpirc03
Textkit Neophyte

Vita est Brevis

Post by hpirc03 »

Is the phrase "Life is Short" correctly translated into Latin as Vita est Brevis.
Does "Dark Wolf Brother" translate into Noctis Lupus Frater.
And finally does "Art Endures" translate into Ars eduro, or should I use perduro/pertolero.
Thanks for the help.

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

Noctis Lupus Frater means literally Night's wolf brother. I guess it gets the point across.

Ars eduro needs a different person for the verb. edurat.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

re: "Dark Wolf Brother"

you can't normally just smash two nouns together in Latin, whether they are written separately or not - that is a compounding feature of English (and other Germanic languages). "Wolf Brother" has to be reworded or taken as "Dark Wolf, (a/the/our/his/etc) Brother" to be translated literally.

edurat is the correct form of the verb, but the verb edurare itself is barely used, and even then by very few authors. There is a wealth of verbs meaning "endure", one rendition of the phrase is "Ars Permanet".

vita est brevis is fine as is.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

hpirc03
Textkit Neophyte

Post by hpirc03 »

The reason I ask about these phrases is because a customer wants me to enrgrave "Dark Wolf Brother" in Latin onto a sword's hand guard that I'm making for him. I don't want to just engrave something that doesn't make sense. So what translation of those words works the best? Any more suggestions?

The phase "Life is Short, Art endues" is something that in the future I'm going to engrave on my toolbox, and I want it to also make sense.