Textkit Logo

Looking for translation help (tattoo)

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Looking for translation help (tattoo)

Postby Kee0311 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:38 am

Hi, I was wondering what "Voluntas suprema lex mea" means in English. Google translate tells me it means, "my will is the supreme law." I would like to know if that is the correct way to translate that English phrase. Thanks!
Kee0311
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Looking for translation help (tattoo)

Postby thesaurus » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:45 pm

Voluntas suprema lex mea

This could be interpreted different ways given some ambiguity of what "mea/my" referes to.

"My will is the supreme law" is legitimate, but given the word order, it could easily mean "Supreme will is my law." In that case I assume that it would be referring to God's will.

Two opposite meanings (unless god is the speaker!), but I think either is technically correct.

I quickly googled this to see whether you were looking for a historical phrase, and I see that "regis voluntas suprema lex" is a common statement. In that case it means "the will of the king is the supreme law." Without "regis" in there, however, it becomes more ambiguous.

To make it less ambiguously "My will is the supreme law", I'd change the order to "Voluntas mea suprema lex"
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Latin