Textkit Logo

Translation difficulty, Pars Secunda

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Translation difficulty, Pars Secunda

Postby Lumen_et_umbra » Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:18 pm

Nvnc vide:tis quantvm scelvs contra: rem pv:blicam et le:ge:s nostra:s vo:bi:s pro:nu:ntia:tum sit.<br /><br />I got something to the effect of:<br /><br />Now you see how much sin against the republic and against our laws has been proclaimed to you.<br /><br />This sounds funky to me...<br />Please, somebody help.
phpbb
Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Re:Translation difficulty, Pars Secunda

Postby Lumen_et_umbra » Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:33 pm

I also do not know what this sentence means:<br /><br />Videa:mvs vter hi:c in medio: foro: plv:s scri:bere possit.
phpbb
Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Postby Maria » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:21 am

Here are a few ideas about your sentences....<br /><br />Sentence 1:<br />Scelus=crime<br />Pronuntio=I proclaim, announce<br />Pronuntiatum sit = 3rd person sg/perfect passive subj.<br />Vobis - could this be dative [to you not by you]?<br /><br />Sentence 2<br />Videamus= subjunctive - try Let us see<br />uter=which if two<br />Possit=3rd person sg/present active subjunctive<br /><br />Hope these ideas help you get further along....
phpbb
Maria
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Lumen_et_umbra » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:44 am

I think a have a good idea as to what the second sentence means - as little sense as it makes:<br /><br />Let us seem which can write more in the middle of the marketplace.<br /><br />
phpbb
Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Postby benissimus » Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:44 am

[quote author=Lumen_et_umbra link=board=3;threadid=456;start=0#3731 date=1060730287]<br />Nvnc vide:tis quantvm scelvs contra: rem pv:blicam et le:ge:s nostra:s vo:bi:s pro:nu:ntia:tum sit.<br /><br />I got something to the effect of:<br /><br />Now you see how much sin against the republic and against our laws has been proclaimed to you.<br /><br />This would perhaps make more sense as: "Now you see how much wrongdoing against the republic and our laws was proclaimed to you." This sentence doesn't seem too off, just keep in mind that we are speaking a language more confusingly archaic than Shakespeare and not everything is going to sound exactly right :) <br />[/quote]<br />[quote author=Lumen_et_umbra link=board=3;threadid=456;start=0#3735 date=1060731211]<br />I also do not know what this sentence means:<br /><br />Videa:mvs vter hi:c in medio: foro: plv:s scri:bere possit.<br /><br />Let us see, here in the middle of the forum, which (either) could write more. <br /><br />Let us seem which can write more in the middle of the marketplace.<br /><br />You confused the subjunctive videamus with the passive subjunctive videamur.<br />[/quote]
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby bingley » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:28 am

Lumen-et-umbra, perhaps you could tell us where your sentences come from? At a guess, I would say Cicero's Catiline Orations. But anyway, I think the more of a context one has, the easier it is to produce a fluent rather than a stilted translation.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Lumen_et_umbra » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:10 pm

Benissimus -<br /> I merely added a "m" accidentally (Though, I still believe my translation of the sentence to be incorrect.)<br /><br />Bingley-<br /> I do know that each sentence is of Cicero; though, I do not know precisely from whence (stodgy enough?) they came.<br />Though I would venture a guess that you are correct in your conjecture.
phpbb
Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Postby sfryer » Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:27 am

[quote author=Lumen_et_umbra link=board=3;threadid=456;start=#3922 date=1060891851]<br /><br />Bingley-<br /> from whence (stodgy enough?) they came.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Umm -- you need to lear n to do stodgy correctly ;D . "From whence" is redundant, since "whence" already means "from where" (so what you wrote was "from from where") .
phpbb
sfryer
Textkit Neophyte

Postby benissimus » Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:29 am

It's a well-attested grammatical error :P
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Lumen_et_umbra » Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:41 am

I have seen it used as a synonym for the word where in reputable works. However, your fastidious criticism is duly noted.
phpbb
Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Return to Learning Latin