Reading / Translating strategies

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Iulianus
Textkit Neophyte

Reading / Translating strategies

Post by Iulianus »

Salvete,

I would like to ask any members of this board for help, namely with the following:

I've been studying Latin for over a year now (independantly and recently in college as well), and I've got quite a good grasp of the Latin vocabulary as well as the grammar (all the basics in any case) - except for the fact that I don't seem to make much progress in my reading comprehension. I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong, as reading a Latin text seems to take way too long. This is why I'd like to ask anyone if they have found a specific reading technique that might be helpful - I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Vobis gratias ago,

Iulianus

P.S. To give you guys any idea of what I'm at, the way I read a Latin sentence is as follows: I don't really have much of a system to it, but I basically just read the words in the order they are given, and try to make sense of it that way; however, it doesn't quite seem like the most efficient way to do it (or perhaps I just need more practice).

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

Iulianus, welcome.

When it comes to reading, some of the board's denizens have had success with the Dowling Method.

I haven't tried it yet because I want to get through the last few chapters of Wheelock first, but if you have any questions ask Lucus Eques – he is a big fan of this method.

WB

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

Some kind soul also posted a link to this essay, entitled the Art of Reading Latin. Sorry I don't remember to whom the credit goes for posting it. I bookmarked it and now don't remember what thread I found it in. It looks interesting as well.

WB

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

Iulianus wrote:except for the fact that I don't seem to make much progress in my reading comprehension. I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong, as reading a Latin text seems to take way too long. This is why I'd like to ask anyone if they have found a specific reading technique that might be helpful - I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Vobis gratias ago,

Iulianus
I'm doing almost exactly the same thing, I mean as both of you actually - I'm finishing up Wheelock, then learning by the Dowling Method; and though I've finished 30 chaps., I'm in a class where everyone's on Ch. 1; I didn't feel I had the strength required of me in Latin to go beyond a beginning class. In any case, I'm doing my own studying besides what is required for the class, and it's an easy A :P . I've also mentioned Textkit as a good forum for anyone who's interested in really learning it well.

I think the Dowling Method is going to give me rapidity when it comes to understanding without translation. I've already started copying out my 200s - it's a lot more work than you'd think, but I do think it's worth it. I haven't got the verb-forms entirely just by copying them out 200 times, but I'm less liable to make mistakes now - and I don't have to flip to charts to make sure that's precisely the way it's written (with the ones I've finished).

I think the Dowling Method is very good if you want to learn Latin like I've learned Spanish - before knowing what the grammar of what you're doing is, just being able to actually do it, directly. I think that's the most natural way to learn any language.

But, I also would like to know the grammar behind what I'm doing, so I can look back on it with more precise clarity. This comes from my innate desire to lean English grammar also - to not make mistakes in 'who/whom' for example, and know exactly why it's whom and not who (in formal writing only - don't judge me based on this!).

I've found that reading Latin gets faster and faster the more you practice. You should practice with simple, short sentences first, translate them too so you can eventually not translate them. If you skip a day - or a week and a half like I did recently because of research for my thesis - it gets slow again, without grinding to a halt, but it does get slower.

I can't say exactly what you should do because I'm very slow too, except with some words that just come now, no need for translation or to think about exactly the case they're in.

I'll stop the blathering, I realise that I'm doing it but I needed a break from my reading. This after returning to the habit of Latin, which felt good. I wish I had been a classics major - my current degree is pretty useless for making money anyway :D

Iulianus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Iulianus »

Thanks all for the replies; I've found that essay "the Art of Reading Latin" to be quite fascinating and, already, helpfull (I've been practicing with it today).

The Dowling Method, however, seems like something one should do at the initial stages of learning Latin, before tackling any of the grammar, even.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

You might want to try out this site too, it really helps with increasing speed. There are several methods to use (like GRASP) too:

Latin Teaching Materials

Especially go to the Latin praxis, I've found that after a while of doing these (a month perhaps) you start to internalise them and are no longer looking for the conjugation or case, it just comes.