Destruction of Pompei is 1631 year.

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
elcano
Textkit Neophyte

Destruction of Pompei is 1631 year.

Post by elcano »

On the Via Nazionale road from Naples to Reggio/Calabria, at 15 km, a so-called “Epitaph” on the façade of the Villa Faraone Mennella today presents two memorial inscriptions in Latin on a monumental volcanic stone.

Viam a Neapoli ad Rhegium perpetuis
Perpetuis entea latrociniis infamem, & conflagrai Vesuvii saxis, impeditam, purgato
insidiis loca, exaequata(m) planitie, latam rectamque dixit aere
Provinciali Perfanus Ribera Ascalano Dux Prorex. An. D. (I) I) LXIII.

VIII.& LX. post annos XVII. Calend. Januaris, Philippo IV. Rege;
fumo; flames, boatu, concussu, cinere , irruptione, horrificus si unquam Vesuvius,
nec nomen, nec faces tanti Viri extiruit. Quippe exardescente cuuis specubus igne; ignites, furens;
irrugie; exitum eluctans coercitus aer, disjecto violenter Montis culmine, immani erupit hiatus postridie,
ejaculatus trans Hellespontum cinerem, pone trahens ad explendam viam Pelagus, immite Pelagus,
fluvios sulphureos flammatum bitumen, faetas alumina cautes, informe cujusque, metallic rudus,
mixtum aquarum voluminibus ignem, ferventemque undante fumo cinerem, seseque, funestamque colluviem jugo Montis exonerans;
Pompeios, Herculanum, Octavianum, perstrictis Reatina & Portici,
Sylvasque, Villasque, Aedesque momento stravit, ussit , diruit ; luctuosam prae se praedam agens,
vastumque triumphum. Perierat hoc quoque Marmar alte sepultum, consultissimi Monumentum Proregis.
Ne peraetat, Emmanuel Fonseca & Zunica Com. Mont. Reg. Pror.
Qua(m) animi magnitudine publicae calamitati ea private consuluit, extractum funditus gentiles sui lapidem. Coelo restituit, viam restauravit, fumante adhuc & indignante Vesevo.
An. Sal. (I) I)C. XXXIV. Praefecto viarum Antonio Suarez Messia March vici K IIJ

Good English translation is necessary,
E.N. Shurshikov, Moscow

elcano
Textkit Neophyte

translation

Post by elcano »

My translation is based on translation from latin to Russian and then from Russian to English

This road from Naples to Reggio [i.e. the Royal City], infamous for continuous robberies [raids] and difficult transit on account of the arid stones of Mount Vesuvius, has been freed from ambush, levelled, straightened and broadened, by means of the funds given by the Province.
Later 68 years in 17 Calend. (on December, 16th) January in Phillip's reign IV.
Smoke, flame, roaring, shaking, ashes, eruption awfully wild at that time Vesuvius has obviously caused fear in one, and at weight of people. The heated heat from an aperture of the fiery cave, violently loudly roaring, has opened the way through constraining surface to an output, has moved to Hellespont, has furiously destroyed top of mountain, monstrously suddenly widely having opened a pharynx of mountain, next day a tail of ashes was dragged all filling similarly to the sea hostile to the sea. The river of the sulfur, burning bitumen, fetid квасцовых stones, the various deformed metal ores, a mix of water and fire, moving an avalanche, a smoke, ashes, disastrous sewage have unloaded a ridge of mountain.
Pompeii, Herculaneum, Octavianum, partially Retina and Portici, woods and country houses, and houses has in a flash scattered, has burnt, has destroyed, (stream) bearing all this before itself, as extraction in mad devastating triumph. Marble monuments have disappeared actually also, are deeply buried, the inquiring monument of Vice-king has really been destroyed. Emmanuel Fonseca and Zunica.
As memory of the sizes of human disaster, as well about the accepted measures on clearing of a stone rain and rescue completely each of our fellow tribesmen. Year of Redemption 1634. Prefect of road of Antonio Suares Messia.

elcano
Textkit Neophyte

Post by elcano »

What ancient authors know about destruction of Pompeii?

Pliny the Younger does not know about destruction Pompeii and Herculaneum in 79.

elcano
Textkit Neophyte

Post by elcano »

Pompeijorum, civitas est Campaniae maritime.

from
-Nebrija, Antonio de (1444-1522)

Título: --Dictionarium Ael. Antonii Nebrissensis cum ex alijs eiusdem Autoris c¯om¯etarijs : tum ex Lexico latino nondum editio : varia & multicipli accessi¯on e locupletatum ...

Publicación: --Apud Inclytam Granatam : [s.n.] , 1545

Pompeii is not distructed in 1545

elcano
Textkit Neophyte

16 December 1631

Post by elcano »

befor
Last edited by elcano on Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elcano
Textkit Neophyte

Post by elcano »

after

elcano
Textkit Neophyte

Post by elcano »

look the pictures

elcano
Textkit Neophyte

Post by elcano »

Veseuu campanie mons est: nulli montium coniuctus: undique uinetes atque fructetis abundans. Hin? ab euro austro POMPEIOS in radicibus habuit : atque sarnum ab euro fere sed remotius Beneuentum: & a uulturno capuam: & a circio Neapolim chalchidensium parthenopem dictam in tumulo sirene sedentem.
Ex hoc enim, Monte maximo in colarum pauore, Nerone Caesare imperante grandis erupit circa verticem fummus, vt ommis breui tractu temporis ab eo tegeretur regio: nec euanuit illico, quinimmo
per dies plures adeo condensus permansit: ut sublatis omninbus radiis, noctem faceret & plurium dierum continuam. Tandem cum adiacieutia omnia, & ipsum mare, quod in conspectu sub radicibus est, ab occiduo: complexu cineribus: cessans, flammam ingentem e culmine montis erumpentem videre permisit: quae multis seculis postea, exustos euomens lapides perduravit. Hodie nec fumus, nec ignis emittit. Stat tamen in montis vertice hiatus magnus, praeteriti testis incendij.

SEE Joannis Boccacii de Certaldo de montibus, sylvis, fontibus, lacubus, fluminibus, stagnis, seu paludibus, de nominibus maris, de l'éd. de Venetiis : [s.n.], 1473

elcano
Textkit Neophyte

Pliny. Where is truth?

Post by elcano »

That
"To a man so eager as he was in the pursuit of knowledge, this appeared to be a most singular phaenomenon, and one that deserved to be viewed more closely; accordingly he gave orders for a light Liburnian vessel to be got ready, and left it at my option to accompany him. To this however I made answer, that I should prefer continuing my studes; and as it so happened, he himself had just given me something to write. Taking his tablets with him, he left the house.
The sailors stationed at Retina, alarmed at the imminence of the danger – for the village lay at the foot of the mountain, and the sole escape was by sea – sent to entreat his assistance in rescuing them from this frightful peril. Upon this he instantly changed his plans, and what he had alredy begun from a desire for knowledge, he determined to carry out as a matter of duty. He had the gallies put to see at once, and went on board himself, with the intention of rendering assistance, not only to Retina, but to many other places as well; for the whole of this charming coast was thickly populated."
“The Natural History of Pliny? trans. J. Bostock, H.T. Riley, London 1893.

ore

"My uncle's scholarly acumen (4) saw at once that it was important enough for a closer inspection, and he ordered a boat to be made ready, telling me I could come with him if I wished. I replied that I preferred to go on with my studies, and as it happened he had himself given me some writing to do.
As he was leaving the house, he was handed a message from Rectina, wife of Tascius whose house was at the foot of the mountain, so that escape was impossible except by boat. She was terrified by the danger threatening her and implored him to rescue her from her fate. He changed his plans, and what he had begun in a spirit of inquiry he completed as a hero. He gave orders for the warships (5) to be launched and went on board himself with the intention of bringing help to many more people besides Rectina, for this lovely stretch of coast was thickly populated."
Pliny the Younger, Letters 6.16

Letters of the Younger Pliny, trans. Betty Radice, Penguin Classics, 1963

elcano
Textkit Neophyte

Post by elcano »

There is a fine latin text. Please translate.

Luce iam sexta decimal Decembris; Sexdecim seclis pariter peractis:
Atque sex lustris prope iam voluto Mensibus anno.
Saxa ructantem glomerata flammis; Igne combustos cineres Veseuum
Vidimus, circum penitus ruentem Ruraque, Villas.
Igneus Naphthae fluuius recursat; Vnde Pompeios Populos, & agros
Funditos vastat, ruit Herculanum, Et pecus omne.
Motibus diris tremuere turres, Ictibus crebris quatiuntur aedes;
Et cauernoso resonat boatu Vesubius ore.

Giuliani Gianbernardino, 1632, Trattato del Monte Vesuvio e de' suoi incendi, Napoli

cramberepetita
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Destruction of Pompei is 1631 year.

Post by cramberepetita »

Good to see nobody got caught up in this 12 years ago. This guy (pretty sure it's him) is still spouting the exact same stuff in the "PIE= Proto-Indo-European" group on Facebook by the way, claiming that the 79 AD eruption never happened (and that Vergil lived in the 17th century or thereabouts). :lol: