problem with translating

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Anako
Textkit Neophyte

problem with translating

Post by Anako »

Hello everyone! I have problem with translating Seneca's text... "De libertate et servitute":

"(...) Tam tu illum videre ingenuum potes quam ille te servum. Variana clade multos splendidissime natos, senatorium per militiam auspicantes gradum, fortuna depressit: alium ex illis pastorem, alium custodem casae fecit."

I don't know how to fix "illum" and "ille" and other "ill.."... also, I'm not sure whether there's Ablativus Absolutus in the second sentence... can you help me with tanslating? I'm quite depressed, I thought it would be easier :(

Thank you in advance...

Deses
Textkit Fan

Post by Deses »

Tam tu illum videre ingenuum potes quam ille te servum.

Illum is Acc. Sing., ille is Nom. Sing, they refer to the same person. Apply potest videre (esse) at the end for clarity :)

Variana clade multos splendidissime natos, senatorium per militiam auspicantes gradum, fortuna depressit: alium ex illis pastorem, alium custodem casae fecit.

Take splendissime with natos, as an adverb.
<a href="http://www.inrebus.com"> In Rebus: Latin quotes and phrases; Latin mottos; Windows interface for Latin Words </a>