Quia/Quod

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Quia/Quod

Post by Keesa »

The special vocabulary section of Latin for Beginners (BLD) says: <br /><br />quia or quod, because <br /><br />Acrobat page 31, #47, II.2., reads <br /><br />"The girls give a wreath to Julia, because Julia loves wreaths." <br /><br />My question is, should "because" here be translated "quia" or "quod", and what's the rule for determining which one to use? Do you just use whichever one you happen to prefer? Surely not...but I can't seem to find any other rules. <br /><br />Can someone help me out here? <br /><br />Keesa<br /><br />

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Re:Quia/Quod

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

There are many synonyms for many words in English as well. I don't find it terrible incredible that there should be two words for "because" in Latin (Particularly as Latin has existed far longer than most languages; so it is a wonder that Latin is not far more distorted, with many words sharing that particular meaning.)<br /><br />Remember, the concept of "and" in Latin can be expressed both with the suffix "-que," and with the conjunction "et".

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

It doesn't surprise me, either. I was just wondering if there was one that I should use, or if either one would work in this sentence. <br /><br />Thanks, <br /><br />Keesa

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

As far as I can tell, there is no difference since the dictionary lists quia and quod as conjunctions, and conjunctions always remain unaltered, regarless of their contexts. However, just to be safe, perhaps you should make this inquiry to someone more qualified than I.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />I know exactly how you feel because I felt the same when I was working on BLD Exercise 47.<br /><br />You can take a look at my previous post viewtopic . php?t=242 to see the mistakes I made :o , and to read some great advice from other people's responses. Milito/Kilmeny posted a wonderful "cheat sheet" on how to distinguish noun declension and verb conjugation... a must see!<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Lumen_et_umbra link=board=3;threadid=444;start=0#3608 date=1060645948]<br />Remember, the concept of "and" in Latin can be expressed both with the suffix "-que," and with the conjunction "et". [/quote]<br /><br />And we are back to the topic of synonyms. I will definitely need to get my hands on The Dictionary of Latin Synonyms (which was mentioned by Adz in the properat vs maturat thread) so I can understand the subtleties between similar words. But then again, it might be hopeless for me... I mean, I still can't distinguish the difference between pourtant, cependant, and néanmoins in French! :(<br /><br />

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

There is no difference. Even the bookd on synonyms say there is not really a difference in current use.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Okay, how does this look? <br /><br />Filiae Iuliae coronam dant, quia Iulia coronae amat. <br /><br />Is that right? This word order is tricky...<br /><br />Keesa

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

[url=http://Filiae%20Iuliae%20coronam%20dant,%20quia%20Iulia%20coronae%20amat.]Filiae Iuliae coronam dant, quia Iulia coronae amat.[/url]<br /><br /><br />First of all, we don't have a translation.<br /><br />quia Iulia coronam amat.<br /><br />You have to put n accusative her. Coronam. <br />Maybe plural Coronas, but I have to se a translation to see if a plural is the case.<br /><br />So; Filiae Iuliae coronam dant, quia Iulia coronam amat.<br /><br />Her daughters giev Julia a crown, cause Julia loves the/a crown. <br /><br />Or The daughters of Julia give her a ... <br /><br />(Iulia can be a genetive with Filiae or a dative with dare; both are correct, but the dative is more commun in such case. This you can only know be reading much Latin.)<br /><br />Greetz, <br />Philippus Moerus.<br />

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Puellae Iuliae coronam dant quia Iulia coronas amat.<br />girls : puellae<br />filiae : daughters<br />coronas accusative.<br /><br />Don't worry to much about word order...<br /><br />In Classical Latin, quia means only "because". quod has other meanings too(as a relative pronoun).

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=444;start=0#3614 date=1060646838]<br />You can take a look at my previous post viewtopic . php?t=242 <br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Uh was I really that loud :o Ignore my posts then I was but an excited child beginning a new journey

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

And what, may I ask, is wrong with being an excited child? The joy of new discovery, the excitement that lurks just under the surface of one's mind, waiting to spill out-this is the essence of all learning, and I hope I never lose that! <br /><br />Keesa