Bono Vox?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Alundis
Textkit Neophyte

Bono Vox?

Post by Alundis »

Someone was watching mtv the other day, and I overheard a segment about a musician named "Bono Vox." It was said to mean, "good voice" in Latin, but that can't be right. Could Bono Vox, with Bono in the dative or ablative, actually mean something in Latin? Perhaps "voice produced by a good man?"

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re:Bono Vox?

Post by benissimus »

Maybe you misunderstood him say "Bona vox" or maybe they made a stupid mistake :-\
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

adz000
Textkit Member

Post by adz000 »

Tell me if I'm too cynical, but I doubt whether "Bono vox" means much of anything in Latin to the musician himself! Still I'm always childishly happy when I see Latin being appropriated in visible ways. <br /><br />If someone put a gun to my head and told me to parse the phrase "bono vox" shorn of any context, I would still be hard-pressed to come up with a good answer. I'm pretty sure an ablative of agency requires a/ab, on the other hand an ablative of means/instrument is tough to use with a person. difficult to interpret bono as a dative of personal agent here. A dative of interest would probably be meaningless without a verb. Ablative of source? In this case the most likely interpretation for "bono" would not be to supply "viro" but to take "bono" as from "bonum", e.g. Cicero's "summum bonum"; something like "voice from the Good"? What about dative of possession in a sentence lacking a form of esse -- this would give a meaning closest to what MTV claimed, something like "the good man has a voice" ( less likely, "the Good has a voice"). Or ablative of accompaniment: "voice along with the Good"? <br /><br />Any other ideas?

Fulya
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Fulya »

bono vox is the nick of U2's vocal!!!!

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien »

Thank God you told them.

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

None of you has contemplated the potentiality that the phrase is of French origin. It seems to me that a contemporary musician would be far more apt to use French in the title of his band than to use Latin. Particularly considering the fact that a lot of musicians today are Euro-trash.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

[quote author=Fulya link=board=3;threadid=435;start=0#3470 date=1060590468]<br />bono vox is the nick of U2's vocal!!!! <br />[/quote]<br /><br />*GROAN*<br /><br />I think I hate MTV more than ever now. The thought had entered my mind that it was Bono from U2, but I didn't think they would be stupid enough to try to translate that into Latin... guess I was wrong.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae