Which one, which one?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Which one, which one?

Post by Keesa »

Which Latin reader should I start with? If they're all above my level, which one should I dangle in front of my nose to keep me going in my grammar books on slump days? There are so many to choose from...<br /><br />Keesa

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:Which one, which one?

Post by Carola »

We have had quite a bit of discussion on this over the months - there is a horrible lack of reading material for beginners. Try http://dekart.f.bg.ac.yu/~vnedeljk/TL/index.html which is the Tolle lege site for some simple stuff. I had to find some old school textbooks with little stories in them (most of them aimed at 8 year olds I think!)

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Maybe we should write some. Once I get to the point where I can actually write in Latin (I've learned that being able to read a language is very different from being able to write it) I'll do just that...write some simple but interesting readers for beginners in Latin. <br /><br />In the meantime, thanks for the link! I'll definitely check it out. <br /><br />Keesa

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Carola link=board=3;threadid=430;start=0#3417 date=1060568059]<br />Try http://dekart.f.bg.ac.yu/~vnedeljk/TL/index.html which is the Tolle lege site for some simple stuff.[/quote]<br /><br />Thanks for the neat site! I'll have to try some of those! <br /><br />Did you happen to post the site in the "Outside links" forum? I think this will be of interest to many beginners.<br />

adz000
Textkit Member

Post by adz000 »

I like your suggestion about writing some! Do you have access to a decent university library, or any sort of large library? A lot of shelves are stuffed with old schoolboy readers and I think Carola gave excellent advice about using them. You can probably make the best choice about which book you will enjoy the most, and which will help you in the areas you're weakest. Then you ought to move onto prose composition and make good your promise to supply us with fun readers1! <br /><br /><br />[size=18=9]1. Ξοπιουσλψ αννοτατεδ, οφ ξουρσε.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=adz000 link=board=3;threadid=430;start=0#3473 date=1060591382]<br />I like your suggestion about writing some! Do you have access to a decent university library, or any sort of large library? A lot of shelves are stuffed with old schoolboy readers and I think Carola gave excellent advice about using them. You can probably make the best choice about which book you will enjoy the most, and which will help you in the areas you're weakest. Then you ought to move onto prose composition and make good your promise to supply us with fun readers1! <br /><br /><br />[size=18=9]1. Ξοπιουσλψ αννοτατεδ, οφ ξουρσε.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />The only library access I have at the moment are the out-of-copyright books I've been able to find online (Project Gutenberg, The Online Books Library, the Online Literature Library, etc.) and since you have to take some time and some trouble to put a book online, I'm not sure that any old readers would make it, at least not until everything else they could get their hands on was exhausted...<br /><br />In about a year, however, I hope to be in college, and to have access to more books. <br /><br />And I promise, as long as I'm still in my right mind, as soon as I've learned enough Latin, I'll celebrate by writing a reader! (And don't worry-it will have whole mountains of notes!) <br /><br />Keesa