I think I might try my hand

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Kopio
Global Moderator

I think I might try my hand

Post by Kopio »

I've been seriously considering trying to learn Latin for a while now. I have downloaded D'Ooge, and printed up the first chapter.....I think I'll make it my nighttime reading for a while and see how easily it comes (or doesn't come) in the next couple of months. Part of the problems, is my brain has been on hiatus since school has been out....if I don't get some cerebral stimulation before Sept when school starts I'm might lose my mind (both figuratively and literally).

With that, I hope to be bothering you all soon with lots of questions (hopefully of the intellegent variety)!

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

This is great to hear Kopio! It should be quite straightforward for you after Greek! Especially with D'Ooge at your side 8)

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Indeed! a fond welcome to you, and when it comes time for me to take on Greek, I hope you and your other Grecian accomplices won't mind my nagging presence in your forum. ;)
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by amans »

Hi, Kopio. Welcome on the Latin board. How good for you :) I am sure you'll find Latin a breeze . . .

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Lucus Eques wrote:Indeed! a fond welcome to you, and when it comes time for me to take on Greek, I hope you and your other Grecian accomplices won't mind my nagging presence in your forum. ;)
I would welcome your "nagging presence" anytime ;)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Lick my face! We don't have a middle voice!

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Episcopus wrote:Lick my face! We don't have a middle voice!
Yeah.....and I think learning the noun endings might be a bit easier. I worked through the first 17 pages of D'Ooge last night, and so far, all is completely clear and makes a lot of sense. It also looks as if the cases function very close to how they do in Greek.....although I'm just now getting to that part in D'Ooge, so we shall see.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

This is one more kick in the pants for me, in the direction of Latin. We need an "Accelerated Latin for Hellenists" course (since everyone keeps saying it's so much easier :)).
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I would like to see some one having learned Greek learn latin with A&G alone. Perhaps this is what you mean annis.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

annis wrote:This is one more kick in the pants for me, in the direction of Latin. We need an "Accelerated Latin for Hellenists" course (since everyone keeps saying it's so much easier :)).
Remeber William....I'm only on the third chapter! It SHOULD be easy for someone with a linguistic background in the third chapter :D