Reditte me Danaos....

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Reditte me Danaos....

Post by pmda »

See below my attempt to parse and translate a piece from Vergil (used in CAP XXXVII) of LLSPI

Arma, viri, ferte arma! Vocat lux ultima victos.
[nap][mnp][im.pl.][nap][p3s] [fns] [fns] [map]
Arms, men, take arms! The final light calls the vanquashed.

Reddite me Danais ! Sinite instaurata revisam
[impl][mds][mas] [impl] [pf3pl(nap)][f3s]
Return me to the Greeks. Let me return to the battle's

proelia! Numquam omnes hodie moriemur inulti!
[nap] [adv] [mnp] [ind] [f1pl] [pf1p(mnp)]
beginning. None of us who will die today shall be unavenged.

One thing I'm not clear about is: Sinite instaurata revisam proelia!

Sinite is followed by present subjunctive revisam (I guess it's subjunctive and not plural)...Is this poetic or actually gramatically OK?

It makes perfect sense in English. Perhaps 'Let that I should see the battle again begun' is a better reflection of the Latin....I'd be grateful for any corrections / guidance.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Reditte me Danaos....

Post by thesaurus »

It's definitely acceptable to have a verb of command followed by a subjunctive. "let/permit that..." is a good literal translation.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Reditte me Danaos....

Post by adrianus »

I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.