Textkit Logo

A challenge for you.. plus I need help

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.

A challenge for you.. plus I need help

Postby Brian 2021 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:44 pm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me. I want to get a tattoo of a cross made up of latin words. So I need a longer word and a shorter word that have the same letter so they can intertwine. One of the words I wanted to use was Fides (faith) for the shorter one so I was looking for about a 7-letter word or a little bit longer with the third letter a "D". Can anybody help me out? Also, I am flexible with both words.. I just want them to be good, strong words.
Brian 2021
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Turpissimus » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:29 pm

reducta, meaning 'restored, brought back to full health' might fit, depending on your personal history.

audacia, meaning 'daring or courage' might also be suitable, if you are a more martial type.

Tell us what you consider to be virtues, and we may be able to help you further.'
Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Deses » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:18 am

Generally, I oppose this practice, but the challenge is inspiring.

Ne lateat quod Paulus erat sanctus que patescat /
Assertore mari; raptis elementa laborant /
Luminibus monstrare virum, mediis que tenebris /
Apparet radiata fides; fit laurea iustis /
Ex pretio quod terror agit, mansura que virtus /
Crescit in adversis, quae testibus usa periclis /
Ad meritum discrimen habet.

Arator, Historia Apostolica

So, radiata fides sounds pretty good.

Or how about fides redemit.

It would be best if you zeroed in on the exact message you want to convey.
<a href="http://www.inrebus.com"> In Rebus: Latin quotes and phrases; Latin mottos; Windows interface for Latin Words </a>
Deses
Textkit Fan

Postby Brian 2021 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:31 am

Turpissimus - Thanks, I like the word "audacia" meaning courage.. I might use that.

Deses - I don't really speak Latin so if you can translate what you replied that would be great. "radiata" and "redemit".
Brian 2021
Textkit Neophyte

Postby benissimus » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:03 am

Brian 2021 wrote:Turpissimus - Thanks, I like the word "audacia" meaning courage.. I might use that.

Deses - I don't really speak Latin so if you can translate what you replied that would be great. "radiata" and "redemit".

audacia is more like "boldness", in that it can have either positive aspects like "bravery" or negative ones like "rashness".

fides radiata "faith (has) shone/shined"

fides redemit "faith (has) redeemed"
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator

Return to Learning Latin