A New Latin Syntax by E. C. Woodcock

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
William
Textkit Fan

A New Latin Syntax by E. C. Woodcock

Post by William »

Hello all!

Are any of you acquainted with the above book? I saw it on Amazon and thought it looked interesting. Have any of you used it? I want to make sure it's worth it before I spend $30 on it.

Thanks in advance.

William

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

It is an interesting read. It is really more of a treatise on Latin syntax, classical and historical, than a reference though, so that may influence your decision on whether or not to buy it. I haven't gone through the whole thing so I can't say any more than that (and perhaps shouldn't have even said that!).
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

it is a remarkably accurate and succinct work, notable and laudable for its appreciation of the value of a diachronic approach to Latin.

~D

Deses
Textkit Fan

Post by Deses »

The book provides ample examples of syntactic constructions (as a matter of fact, it even gives translations of most sentences). It may not be a reference, but a it sure is a cornucopia.

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

Thank you for those very excellent responses. I'm definitely going to get it.

Thanks again,
William

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Looks like you have already been convinced Wiiliam! I have been using for the last few years of Latin (for a BA) and totally agree with the other posts on this topic - you can't do without it.
The other book I must get is L R Palmer's The Latin Language, I have read it at the library and it goes into the language history, plus a lot about style of authors etc.

Deses
Textkit Fan

Post by Deses »

Carola wrote: The other book I must get is L R Palmer's The Latin Language, I have read it at the library and it goes into the language history, plus a lot about style of authors etc.
Palmer's book is available free at netlibrary.com. The membership is free if you have a library card issued by any of the participating public libraries. There are a few other books on Latin there.

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

Carola, hello!

I read the first few pages of E.C.W.'s book online and was intrigued enough to ask about it, so I only needed a little push to go for it. Thank you kindly for the tip on L R Palmer's book, too. I'm going to take a look for that one as well.

William

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Deses wrote:
Palmer's book is available free at netlibrary.com. The membership is free if you have a library card issued by any of the participating public libraries. There are a few other books on Latin there.
I would imagine my Adelaide (Australia) library card isn't on their list! However I will have a look - maybe they do know we exist! :lol:

I am still going to buy the Palmer - until someone invents a really good electronic book reader (and goodness knows why they haven't - I'm beginning to see a conspiracy theory here! The book publishers and forestry industry!). Trying to hold my laptop up while I read in bed is a tricky exercise.