Need a translation of a sentence from Pliny

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
JLatin1
Textkit Neophyte

Need a translation of a sentence from Pliny

Post by JLatin1 »

It's the first sentence of "C. PLINII NATVRALIS HISTORIAE PRAEFATIO"

"Libros Naturalis Historiae, novicium Camenis Quiritium tuorum opus, natos apud me proxima fetura licentiore epistula narrare constitui tibi, iucundissime Imperator; sit enim haec tui praefatio, verissima, dum maximi consenescit in patre."

Thanks in advance,
-Jonathan.

amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by amans »

I've only had a quick look at it...

"Libros Naturalis Historiae, novicium Camenis Quiritium tuorum opus, natos apud me proxima fetura licentiore epistula narrare constitui tibi, iucundissime Imperator; sit enim haec tui praefatio, verissima, dum maximi consenescit in patre."

I have decided to bring forth books on Natural History, your citizens' new work to the muses, born by me, ..., o pleasing Emperor; so let this be a preface, most true, about you, while ...

Perhaps this will help you along the way. Let me know what your own thoughts are and I'll be happy to help you more.

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Libros Naturalis Historiae, novicium Camenis Quiritium tuorum opus, natos apud me proxima fetura licentiore epistula narrare constitui tibi, iucundissime Imperator; sit enim haec tui praefatio, verissima, dum maximi consenescit in patre.
Here are two translations I came across on the Web of the DEDICATION BY C. PLINIUS SECUNDUS TO HIS FRIEND TITUS VESPASIAN.

"These books containing the Historie of Nature, which a few daies since I brought to light (a new work in Latin, and namely among the Romanes, your citizens and countrimen) I purpose by this Epistle of mine to present and consecrate unto you, most sweet and gentle Prince [for this title accordeth fittest unto you, seeing that the name of [Most mightie] sorteth well with the age of that Emperor your father:]"

"This treatise on Natural Histiory, a novel work in Roman literature, which I have just completed, I have taken the liberty to dedicate to you, most gracious Emperor, an appellation peculiarly suitable to you, while, on account of his age, that of great is more appropriate to your Father;--"

Cheers,
Int

JLatin1
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JLatin1 »

Interaxus wrote:
Here are two translations I came across on the Web of the DEDICATION BY C. PLINIUS SECUNDUS TO HIS FRIEND TITUS VESPASIAN.

"These books containing the Historie of Nature, which a few daies since I brought to light (a new work in Latin, and namely among the Romanes, your citizens and countrimen) I purpose by this Epistle of mine to present and consecrate unto you, most sweet and gentle Prince [for this title accordeth fittest unto you, seeing that the name of [Most mightie] sorteth well with the age of that Emperor your father:]"

"This treatise on Natural Histiory, a novel work in Roman literature, which I have just completed, I have taken the liberty to dedicate to you, most gracious Emperor, an appellation peculiarly suitable to you, while, on account of his age, that of great is more appropriate to your Father;--"

Cheers,
Int
Thanks, Int, Just what I was looking for.