Translation Help

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
MuC
Textkit Neophyte

Translation Help

Post by MuC »

What " Ut amem et foveam " means ?? i found that it means "So that I love and cherish " is true ?

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Translation Help

Post by thesaurus »

MuC wrote:What " Ut amem et foveam " means ?? i found that it means "So that I love and cherish " is true ?
That's correct, but it's somewhat ambiguous without context. Perhaps "so that I might love and cherish"
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Junya
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Junya »

How about these ?
"I wish that I be bound, or, demanded strongly, to love..."
or,
"Let me please love..."

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Junya wrote:How about these ?
"I wish that I be bound, or, demanded strongly, to love..."
or,
"Let me please love..."
As Junya says, as a standalone phrase (in tattoos or otherwise) it will be an optative subjunctive (with "ut" or "utinam"): "May I love and cherish."

Nota picta in his verbis sine contextu optativum subjunctivum significet, ubi ut pro utinam adverbio legatur.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.