Want some help Pleaaaaaase ...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
darkman
Textkit Neophyte

Want some help Pleaaaaaase ...

Post by darkman »

Hi friends ... i'm a new member here ... and it's my honour being here in this great forum indeed ....

well, i'm just writing this post to ask for your advices if possible ..
actually i plan to learn Greek/Ancient Greek/ Latin ...
The question that always confuses me is that ... :
what are the differences between Greek and Latin languages ????
and how can i begin studying such a difficult language as a beginner .

wish to find some helpful books (E-books) for Latin/Greek/Ancient Greek languages for beginners ......

thanks soooooo much ......

JLatin1
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Want some help Pleaaaaaase ...

Post by JLatin1 »

darkman wrote:Hi friends ... i'm a new member here ... and it's my honour being here in this great forum indeed ....

well, i'm just writing this post to ask for your advices if possible ..
actually i plan to learn Greek/Ancient Greek/ Latin ...
The question that always confuses me is that ... :
what are the differences between Greek and Latin languages ????
and how can i begin studying such a difficult language as a beginner .

wish to find some helpful books (E-books) for Latin/Greek/Ancient Greek languages for beginners ......

thanks soooooo much ......
Classical Latin, that is the Latin of the Roman Empire, was written with the Latin script-which is very similar to the English capital alphabet. The vocabulary is very different from Latin, as a form of Latin, vulgar Latin later evolved into the modern Romance languages - Italian, Spanish, Catalan, French, Romanian. Ancient Greek has only one derivative language- Modern Greek.

Ancient Greek uses the Greek alphabet, but it is similar to Latin in that both are very inflected language. This means that nouns and verbs have endings, make word word order unimportant and flexible.

I'm sure someone else here can add to what I've said.

JLatin1
Textkit Neophyte

Some Good Websites

Post by JLatin1 »

Links to more detailed Info:

Greek language:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_language

History of the Greek Language:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... k_language

Latin Language:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin

Hope that helps,
-Jonathan

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

They are two completely different languages, like, say, German and Italian. German and Italian have many of the same features, but the ways in which they express certain things rarely coincide and the vocabulary is radically different - the same goes for Latin and Greek. People tend to associate Greek and Latin because they are both ancient languages and were traditionally studied in conjunction with each other. This causes some people to become confused and many people do not even bother to distinguish between the two, but Latin and Greek are in truth two distinct languages only distantly related.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

darkman
Textkit Neophyte

many thanks

Post by darkman »

Realy many thanks to alllll of you guys .... i appreciate your help , your replies ..... it really helps .... thanls again .
My best .
:lol: 8) :wink: :idea: