How do I address the pope?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Evito
Textkit Neophyte

How do I address the pope?

Post by Evito »

Papae Benedicto XVI salutem? :lol:

I'm not sure. Who is?

Parthenophilus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Parthenophilus »

Mein heiliger Führer

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

haha

Io Papa?

Evito
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Evito »

guuuuuys
seriously! :D

I am gonna write him a serious letter, and I thought I might as well do it in Latin since my Latin is better than my German.

amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by amans »

In a letter to the pope Apollinaris Sidonius, a fifth century Gallo-Roman aristocrat, high government official, poet, and bishop of Clermont, writes by way of greeting (salutatio):

Sidonius domino papae Perpetuo salutem

You just need to change "Sidonius" for "Evitus" :lol: You could, of course, change the word order to emphasize various parts of the phrase or you could add another adjective or a "suo" if you feel like it. Or you could throw in a Benedictus XVI for good measure...

However, I don't think you have to be overly reverential. John Paul II was greeted on his many travels by simple words like "Hello and welcome to ..."

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Your efforts are in vain. The letter will not be read by the Pope. Believe me we have all been there.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Episcopus wrote:Your efforts are in vain. The letter will not be read by the Pope. Believe me we have all been there.
I would not be so sure. I'll bet the same advice was give to Clarence Earl Gideon (for you non-Americans, his hand-written letter to our Supreme Court resulted in massive changes to our legal system).

Will the Pope read every letter sent to him? I'm sure not. But I bet he will read some, perhaps just a tiny percentage. I think you should be encouraged, though, that one of the first things the Vatican did after the announcement of the new Pope was establish an email address for him and a link to that address on their website (see Benedict XVI under the picture).

amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by amans »

I agree with edonnelly. The pope himself will not read all incoming mail, but if the institution, the papacy, does not handle all serious queries, it would be, IMHO, rather unprofessional.

I am somewhat surprised though that there does not seem to be a Latin version of the Vatican web site. Am I mistaken or does it only have modern language versions?

Misopogon
Textkit Member

Post by Misopogon »

Episcopus wrote:Your efforts are in vain. The letter will not be read by the Pope. Believe me we have all been there.
Not always true. I think that all the letters are read and most of them receive an answer, even the Pope will not read everything. A relative of mine had a burocratic problem with his priest, that refused to marry him. Well, he wrote directly to the Pope and received an answer. Also the priest receive a letter and suddenly the burocratic problem disappeared. The priest was not very happy at all but he couldn't do anything about... (to be fair, the relative of mine wasn't very correct, he should have written/talked to his bishop first. You know Episcopus, the bishop comes always first :D )