Need help with a short translation.

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
JLatin1
Textkit Neophyte

Need help with a short translation.

Post by JLatin1 »

"ego ipse tabernam, in quā habitō, servāre possum”

Here's my translation:
“I can look after the shop in which I live, myself. It seems stilted though, how about this:

I can look after the shop that I live in, myself.

Also:
"Statim ad viam, in qua taberna erat, festinavit: adeo cupiebat tabernam possidere."

Possiblities:
He hurried at once to the street in which was the shop: he was desiring to own a shop so greatly.
Alternatives:
1.He hurried at once to the street where the shop was located; he wanted so much to own a shop.

2.He hurried at once to the street where the shop was located because he wanted to own a shop so greatly.

3.He hurried at once to the street where the shop was located because he wanted to own a shop so greatly.

4.He wanted so much to own a shop that he hurried at once to the sreet where the shop was located.

Thanks for your help,
-Jonathan.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: Need help with a short translation.

Post by benissimus »

JLatin1 wrote:"ego ipse tabernam, in quā habitō, servāre possum”

Here's my translation:
“I can look after the shop in which I live, myself. It seems stilted though, how about this:

I can look after the shop that I live in, myself.
Both are good literal translations.
Also:
"Statim ad viam, in qua taberna erat, festinavit: adeo cupiebat tabernam possidere."

Possiblities:
He hurried at once to the street in which was the shop: he was desiring to own a shop so greatly.
Literal and correct.
Alternatives:

1.He hurried at once to the street where the shop was located; he wanted so much to own a shop.

Literal and correct.

2.He hurried at once to the street where the shop was located because he wanted to own a shop so greatly.

Less literal.

3.He hurried at once to the street where the shop was located because he wanted to own a shop so greatly.

Isn't this the same as above?

4.He wanted so much to own a shop that he hurried at once to the sreet where the shop was located.

Not literal but still carries the sense fairly accurately.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae