translation check

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Deccius
Textkit Neophyte

translation check

Post by Deccius »

Salvete omnes,

Here are some english to latin sentences. Please let me know of any mistakes.

Aurelia was going slowly toward the inn because she wasn't wanting to spend the night there.

Aurelia lente ad cauponam ibat quod pernoctare ibi nolebat

At that very moment, however, a fat man appeared at the door of the inn.

Eo ipso tempore, tamen, obesus homo ad ianuam cauponis apparuit.

Suddenly three dogs bark fiercely and attack the Corneliuses.

Subito tres canis ferociter latrant et Cornelii petent.

thanks

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

2. caupona is 1st dec. so the genitive would in fact be cauponae as you know
3. I would prefer canes but yours is ok too. Cornelios acc. pl. , petunt, pres. 3rd. pl. active of petere (3rd dec).

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Episcopus wrote:2. caupona is 1st dec. so the genitive would in fact be cauponae as you know
simply adding to this, caupo, cauponis as (I assume) Decci you have used means "innkeep(er)", not inn. caupa, however, can mean either inn or female innkeep.
3. I would prefer canes but yours is ok too. Cornelios acc. pl. , petunt, pres. 3rd. pl. active of petere (3rd dec).
-is nom. plur. is, as the good Bishop spoke, not a great nominative plural. not only is it very rare in classical writing but it probably wouldn't happen at all with a noun that is not an i-stem.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae