good books teaching how to SPEAK latin?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
latinbeginsnow
Textkit Neophyte

good books teaching how to SPEAK latin?

Post by latinbeginsnow »

Hi guys. I'm starting to learn latin on my own witht he 'latin: an intensive course' book, and i'm looking for a book to accompany it that will teach me spoken latin. any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Deses
Textkit Fan

Re: good books teaching how to SPEAK latin?

Post by Deses »

latinbeginsnow wrote:Hi guys. I'm starting to learn latin on my own witht he 'latin: an intensive course' book, and i'm looking for a book to accompany it that will teach me spoken latin. any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
I always recommend spending a semester in a Latin-speaking country. You'll be amazed how much your Latin will improve.
<a href="http://www.inrebus.com"> In Rebus: Latin quotes and phrases; Latin mottos; Windows interface for Latin Words </a>

latinbeginsnow
Textkit Neophyte

Post by latinbeginsnow »

are you joking or are there countries that speak latin as their national language? what countries did you have in mind?

FiliusLunae
Textkit Member

Post by FiliusLunae »

I think he was joking. Hehe.
The only place where Latin is official is the Vatican. Though it is said that Italian is used for most ocassions, they still use Latin for all the official things, and of course, mass in Latin.
Not many people who study Latin see the point in learning to speak it like you would any other language, which is unfortunate, at least for me.
If you're wondering about the pronunciation of Latin, this has been discussed on this board before. The Vatican uses a pronunciation based on Italian; in other countries, it is usually pronounced with the phonetic inventory of that country's language; and yet others, follow a Classical pronunciation, but even this one varies in different countries and/or schools.

Here's a post in which Benissimus was compiling sites with spoken Latin:
viewtopic.php?t=3531

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Unfortunately I do not believe there is a book from our era that teaches Latin in such a way that you will be able to speak it easily.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

How about from the 16-17,00's?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

It occurred to me in my last reply that that would probably be the case, but I have seen no such textbook. I imagine the ones that do survive are in terrible condition.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

I doubt they would be of much help anyway, since the pronounciation of latin would be taught by comparison to english, which would have been pronounced quite differently than it is today. Look at some earlier threats, we can't even agree how english is pronounced today!
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

latinbeginsnow
Textkit Neophyte

Post by latinbeginsnow »

i'm no so much concerned with the pronounciation in those books, as there are many good books today on pronounciation, but more interested in the grammar beyond reading, being able to hear it, understand it, and speak it. maybe it's not possible.

Deses
Textkit Fan

Post by Deses »

Conversational Latin for Oral Proficiency: Phrase Book and Dictionary
by John C. Traupman, Laurie Haight Keenan, Georgine Cooper

I saw it at the store, but did not really see the point in having it.
<a href="http://www.inrebus.com"> In Rebus: Latin quotes and phrases; Latin mottos; Windows interface for Latin Words </a>

latinbeginsnow
Textkit Neophyte

Post by latinbeginsnow »

i heard that for many years students at harvard would only speak latin while on the campus. anyone else heard this story?

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

WHITEOCTAVE: PERMISSION TO USE YOUR POSTER?

:shock: :shock: