Unpronouncable

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Parthenophilus
Textkit Neophyte

Unpronouncable

Post by Parthenophilus »

Say out loud:
  • gererer
  • tererer
  • quaererer
Are these words barely pronouncable, or is it just me?

Dingbats
Textkit Member

Post by Dingbats »

I don't think they're hard to pronounce.

FiliusLunae
Textkit Member

Post by FiliusLunae »

I don't think they're hard to pronounce either.
I certainly don't know what pronunciation you follow, but I would think they would sound rather odd, and probably be a bit more difficult, if "r's" are pronounced like in English (retroflex aprox) or like in French (uvular), and if on top of that, the unstressed vowels are reduced to schwa.
However, at least for me, rolling the "r's" like in Italian and maintaining each vowel's quality, those words are rather simple to pronounce.

Why do you say they're unpronounceable?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Tongue-twisters perhaps, but not unpronouncable.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

ptran
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ptran »

How about the imperfect subjunctive passive?

gererere
regerere
referrere

Dingbats
Textkit Member

Post by Dingbats »

Well I just can't see what's so hard with pronouncing a lot of Rs and Es. But then my native language uses rolling Rs, but anyway.

Parthenophilus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Parthenophilus »

It's just me then. Trilling rs doesn't come naturally to me, and three rs in a row is impossible unless I go very slowly, and then it sounds ridiculous. Actually, if I say the rs in the English way it's quite easy.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

It takes a while to get used to rolling R's if you aren't already accustomed to it. My tongue used to ache while reading Latin sentences, but I got used to it by the second or third semester. Of course it doesn't help at all to have a Californian accent. :) Be careful not to slur the syllables or overdo the consonants: e.g. it is GEH-reh-rehr, not ger-rur-rur.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

dididi

Psilord79
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Psilord79 »

That reminds me of 'aurora'—it's one of my favourite words in Portuguese, but I think it sounds terribly awkward in English. :P
«Μη φοβάσαι Μητέρα, και αυτός Αλέξανδρος είναι.»
“Non errasti Mater; namque et hic Alexander est.”

Ioannes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ioannes »

Latin words beginning with the letter x are harder to pronounce, e.g. "xiphias"

Weet
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Weet »

New here, and I'm afraid my latin is poor (the reason for my being here!) but these words seem somewhat odd to me. I would imagine that such words with so many repeated syllables would be shortened (haplology) by everyday speakers. English is a good example of this. Only technical terms survive with such duplicate syllables. What do you guys think?

adz000
Textkit Member

Post by adz000 »

Here are some known instances of haplology in Latin, if this aids the discussion. For instance

*nutritrix > nutrix

Parthenophilus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Parthenophilus »

Ferre looks to me like it used to be ferere. I was wondering if, in practice, words like gererer were contracted in a similar way.

Ioannes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ioannes »

The Norwegian language has adopted the word referere (from refere) from Latin as a verb.
In present tense of the verb is refererer. Guess that's the same as futurum passive indicative 2nd person singularis in Latin, too, but it's still funny to pronounciate. Although it's not unpronounceable.