Textkit Logo

textbook: Reading Latin by Peter V. Jones, Keith C. Sidwell

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.

textbook: Reading Latin by Peter V. Jones, Keith C. Sidwell

Postby benissimus » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:36 am

has anybody used this book? is it popular in the UK? what is it like?
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator

Postby chrisb » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:00 am

I would say it is very much like Reading Greek from JACT. The two volunmes are similar in style, with a reader and a grammar plus exercises. I used it as a refresher course and found it very useful, but I think it would be quitye hard work for a beginner as I think the learening curve is quite steep.

chrisb
chrisb
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Episcopus » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:08 pm

It would be a bit hard for beginners. It is aimed at adults of high linguistic aptitude in my opinion. The reader ends with extracts from Cicero and co.
A good use of it would be post-d'ooge: to refresh grammar and add vocabulary sensitivity to the latin idiom and reading practice.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Postby Guenevera » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:23 am

I used it; everything was explained well; I found it very good. I agree that it would be heavy going for an absolute beginner, but if you have some grounding in basic Latin it isn't too difficult. Before using it, I did about half of "The Approach to Latin" (book 1) by Paterson & Macnaughton, which turned out to be sufficient grounding.
(I believe Reading Greek is by the same authors as Reading Latin, which would be why it is similar.)
Guenevera
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Guenevera » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:26 pm

There is a review of the course at http://wonder.riverwillow.com.au/home_e ... _latin.htm .
Guenevera
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Johannes_Vigorniae » Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:22 am

Guenevera wrote:I believe Reading Greek is by the same authors as Reading Latin, which would be why it is similar.

No, I don't think so. The authors, Peter Jones and Keith Sidwell, did this book on their own initiative. I think it's a bit better than Reading Greek, but the authors deliberately echoed the style of Reading Greek and had it published by the same publishers, Cambridge University Press.
Johannes_Vigorniae
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin