Post Roman proper nouns

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Feles in silva
Textkit Member

Post Roman proper nouns

Post by Feles in silva »

Is there a system for translating (or perhaps transliterating would be a better term) names into Latin? Such as, for example Ohio or Geoff? If I wanted to say I was from Arkansas, how would I decline this noun?

Dingbats
Textkit Member

Post by Dingbats »

Arkansas would probably be first declension feminine. With nouns that are hard to fit into the Latin declension system, at least I use to use the third declension. Like Ohio -nis, Geoff -is etc. Though this is probably not the best way to do it.

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

Arcansas, Arcansatis, I guess, or Geoff would probably render Ieffreus (for Geoffrey or Jeffrey or something like that).

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Maybe Godfreius or Godafrida, in keeping with its historical form ( http://behindthename.com/php/view.php?name=godfrey ). Also, foreign names do not have to be declined. It might be fun to render Arkansas as a Greek 1st declension ;) Third declension is always a safe bet though, but you would be making up words.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

possible but i think this better says it... http://behindthename.com/php/view.php?name=geoffrey

anyway, I think a nice merge of Latin and Greek here would suffice (hell, there's television, isn't there?) Theopax or Theopacius or something along that line, if, of course, it even is Godfrey that originated Geoffrey, like I said before, possible

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

This site has Universitas Arkanseniensis.

http://www.uark.edu/campus-resources/dl ... labus.html

Kerastes
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Post Roman proper nouns

Post by Kerastes »

Feles in silva wrote:Is there a system for translating (or perhaps transliterating would be a better term) names into Latin? Such as, for example Ohio or Geoff?
Places and names are two different critters. As far as names, go with our rightly named Benissimus and use the origin as a clue. As for places, go with whatever the Vatican calls it, because that will generally be understood by readers of Latin. Yes, foreign names need not be declined, though even here the origin will tell you that Florida and Virginia are pretty obviously first declension.
If I wanted to say I was from Arkansas, how would I decline this noun?
E.g. Nomen mihi est Raimundus Andersonius. Civis Illinoensis sum. I would treat Arkansas (or Arcansas) as neuter indeclinable and use the adjective form Arkansensis -is. Same with Ohio, Mississippi, Wisconsin, and Utah.

Kerastes / Raymond