Vulgate Usage Question

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Athanasius
Textkit Neophyte

Vulgate Usage Question

Post by Athanasius »

Valete!

Anyone have any idea how autem is being used in the following verse from John 1 of the Vulgate, amabo te? I checked an online dictionary and found "on the other hand, but, however, etc" but it doesn't make sense per what I understand the verse to say

quotquot autem receperunt eum dedit eis potestatem filios Dei fieri his qui credunt in nomine eius

Semper fidelis,

Athanasius

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

quotquot autem receperunt eum dedit eis potestatem filios Dei fieri his qui credunt in nomine eius

however/on the other hand/but (take your pick), however many received him he gave to them the ability to become the sons of God, to these who believe in his name.

St Jerome had a thorough dislike of punctuation. On second thought... was punctuation invented when he wrote?
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

Deses
Textkit Fan

Re: Vulgate Usage Question

Post by Deses »

Athanasius wrote:Valete!

Anyone have any idea how autem is being used in the following verse from John 1 of the Vulgate, amabo te? I checked an online dictionary and found "on the other hand, but, however, etc" but it doesn't make sense per what I understand the verse to say

Semper fidelis,

Athanasius
The trick is that English does not have a word corresponding to autem. The Greek text has "de" and you will probably find many instances of this correlation. I'd just try to develop a sense of what this word means using the suggested options when you actually have to translate it.
Last edited by Deses on Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ulpianus
Textkit Member

Post by Ulpianus »

As others have pointed out, autem is a connective implying contrast. In this case it makes sense in the context of the previous verse: "in propria venit et sui eum non receperunt." The people one might have expected to accept him did not accept him, but to those who did ...

I don't believe there was any punctuation to speak of when the Vulgate was compiled.

Athanasius
Textkit Neophyte

AUTEM in the Vulgate

Post by Athanasius »

Gratia omnae! - for the help with autem - I believe Ulpianus has hit the nail on the head.

If you want to try a language that is punctuationally-challenged, try Arabic. They Arabs are still learning how to use it. Some older texts I read have none at all...rather they use specific words as a sort of punctuation.

Semper fidelis,

Athanasius

"Pauci viri sapientiae student." - Cicero (as quoted in Wheelock's 6th ed.

Al Akfar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Al Akfar »

Ahhh, Arabic. Truly a language amongst languages. Even learning to count is a nightmare.

Athanasius
Textkit Neophyte

Vulgate to Arabic

Post by Athanasius »

Al-Akfar, et Arabia dices tu?

Salve,

Athanasius

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

ana atekelam arabiya? (Etiam arabicam dicesne?)

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

cweb255 wrote:ana atekelam arabiya?
anta tatakallam. walakin huwa yatakallam?

Counting's not that hard. You just have to remember the freaky gender marker switcheroo. Hebrew does this, too.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

annis wrote:
cweb255 wrote:ana atekelam arabiya?
anta tatakallam. walakin huwa yatakallam?

haha annis another language learned is it! And indeed a monster! I would say well done but that imply that I have the authority to do so.

The Vulgate must be for simpletons, it's so badly written that I could make no sense at all out of that passage apart from however many however. Seriously it does not look like latin but if latin that of a wealthy english prose composition choirboy student who in fact has no clue.

Athanasius
Textkit Neophyte

Arabic in a Latin forum...hmmm

Post by Athanasius »

heenama asma' al-arabiyya wa nihna fi moqi' al-internet al-mutakhassissa lil-lugha al-laateeniyya, ana ufakkir 'an ghazu al-muslimeen fi istanbul qabla thamaniya qurun.

In fact, I'm quite interested in studying more about the fall of Byzantium in the face of the Islamic invasion....one of my rainy day projects.

BTW, did I fail to ask Al-Akfar if he spoke Arabic? I wrote:

Et Arabia dices tu? Should it have been written some other way? I saw that CWEB255 wrote:

"Etiam arabicam dicesne?"

If I made a mistake, please explain so I can learn.

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

Yah, I don't know Arabic, but the way I pronounced it is always understood by the Arabic-speakers here. Besides, there's no one way to write Arabic in English...

Well yes, Arabia is either nominative singular or ablative singular, and the word means ARABIA. Arabica lingua is the Arabic language and it should be in accusative. Also, etiam is preferred to et with the first one meaning only also and the latter having the definition of "and" as the primary definition and "also" as a secondary type. Then "dices tu" is repetitive. Cut off the "tu" since the es already implies that and add the enclitic "ne" which is in the normal way to ask questions without interrogatives.

Athanasius
Textkit Neophyte

Thanks for the help - shukran

Post by Athanasius »

Thanks for the corrections to my grammar. I appreciate it.

As for the Arabic I wrote earlier, it reads "when I 'hear' Arabic at this site devoted to the Latin language, I think of the Muslim invasion of Constantinople ~ 8 centuries ago."

You're right, there are no good ways to render Arabic in the English alphabet. Too many extra sounds and letters.

Semper fidelis,

Athanasius

"Fortuna adversa virum magnae sapientiae non terrent." - Horace (as quoted in Wheelock's 6th ed.)

Al Akfar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Al Akfar »

Ana atakallamha.

It's a truly nutty language. I love it. I had a quick look at Hebrew, I intend to come back to it after Latin. There is more to numbers in arabic than just blasted polarity, I can't believe how awkward they managed to make it.

My username is a nickname awarded me by my old Arabic tutor. The Most Infidel. I'm quite proud of it.

Al Akfar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Al Akfar »

Though speaking of puncuation, my understanding is that Persian is much much worse, though the rest of the language is somewhat easier than Arabic.

Athanasius
Textkit Neophyte

A thought on Semitic languages

Post by Athanasius »

If you want to learn Hebrew, you've made the most important step by learning Arabic grammar first. Hebrew will seem like child's play, particularly modern Hebrew. Ben Yehuda did a great job in simplifying (westernizing really) a language with basically an Arabic grammar system.

I recommend that you study modern Hebrew first and then approach biblical Hebrew. It'll make more sense. But with your Arabic background, depending on how much you know, you can do either one.

After Hebrew, you should take up Aramaic. Aramaic, I have found, is to Hebrew and Arabic what Dutch is to English and German.

Semper fidelis,

Athanasius

"et circa horam nonam clamavit Iesus voce magna dicens Heli Heli lema sabacthani hoc est Deus meus Deus meus ut quid dereliquisti me" - Matthew 27:45

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Al Akfar wrote:Though speaking of puncuation, my understanding is that Persian is much much worse, though the rest of the language is somewhat easier than Arabic.
A lot easier than Arabic.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;