Dulce Et Decorum Est

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Al Akfar
Textkit Neophyte

Dulce Et Decorum Est

Post by Al Akfar »

I have just started studying Latin and I was wondering if anyone could explain a couple of questions about the grammar of Horace's Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori. Firstly, I assume 'mori' is some form of infinitive, but I can't find which form it is.

Secondly, if anyone knows the Latin for 'to spy' would they be so kind as to provide it in the same infinitive form as 'mori' is in in the aforementioned sentence.

Cheers.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: Dulce Et Decorum Est

Post by benissimus »

Al Akfar wrote:I have just started studying Latin and I was wondering if anyone could explain a couple of questions about the grammar of Horace's Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori. Firstly, I assume 'mori' is some form of infinitive, but I can't find which form it is.
This is the passive infinitive. mori is from a group of verbs known as the deponents, which use only passive forms but express active meanings through them (the opposite of what one should expect). Thus, mori means "to die", but if it had the true passive meanings and were not deponent, it would mean "to be died", which of course makes no sense with this verb.
Secondly, if anyone knows the Latin for 'to spy' would they be so kind as to provide it in the same infinitive form as 'mori' is in in the aforementioned sentence.
one word that can mean "to spy" is explorare. You would not want to put it into the same infinitive form as mori, which would be explorari, because that would mean "to be spied" (since explorare is not deponent, the passive forms DO carry passive meanings).
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Al Akfar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Al Akfar »

Thanks heaps. After reading your reply I found the verb 'speculari'. Does this reflect the meaning of spy that we usually understand?

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

yes, and that's even better than exploro in my opinion.

Mulciber
Textkit Member

Post by Mulciber »

If the above suggestions for to spy seem doubtful, you couldn't go wrong with furto observare=to observe secretly.

Al Akfar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Al Akfar »

Cheers, thanks everybody.