absolute beginner

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
ChelseaGrace
Textkit Neophyte

absolute beginner

Post by ChelseaGrace »

I have recently decided that I wanted to learn Latin and would like to discuss ways and materials to help me learn more effectively, faster, and hopefully cheaper. I was hoping that somebody here could give me a few hints.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Well cheapest will be to teach yourself using the books that are available here at textkit :wink: . I suppose that's why your here...?

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

2f ' (download d'ooge) = (latin learning)^2

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Hic sedeo ego et cogito nihil malum - et Episcopus, at tu memoras mihi mathematicam! :cry:

Brinestorm
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Brinestorm »

Emma_85 wrote:Hic sedeo ego et cogito nihil malum - et Episcopus, at tu memoras mihi mathematicam! :cry:
Non sumus in Agora; cur loqueris in lingua peregrina? Heu in lingua peregrina ipse locutus sum.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Ah... at Episcopus solum latinum intelleget. :wink:

ChelseaGrace
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ChelseaGrace »

Are you people making fun of me in Latin? How unfair is that!?! Now I have to learn it, just to know what you said...

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Hehehe, no! We aren't making fun of you. But if it makes you want to learn Latin then 'hey'! That's what you asked for ... 'how can I learn Latin faster?' - by wanting to learn it is the answer. :P

I was just complaining in Latin that Episocopus' way of telling you to download d'ooge remined me of maths :x . (I'm a bit sick of it at the moment, cause I have my maths and physics finals in 2 weeks and so I'm basically revising maths all day long :( ).

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I have maths exam tomorrow. At least I know whence tangent- and gradient- come!

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

how did the exam go?

Hospes Hibernius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Hospes Hibernius »

Britain's Daily Telegraph newspaper ran a series about eight years ago that was the most basic introduction to Latin that you could imagine. The series is now available in book form - it's called Learn Latin, by Peter Jones, and you can buy it from Amazon.co.uk.

By the time you get to the end of the book you'll know whether or not you'd like to learn the language properly or not. I myself, after being delighted by Jones' book, am now fighting my way through Wheelock, and it's not easy. But then, as Jones' remarks in his introduction to Learn Latin, Latin is not for cissies.

Best of luck to you in your endevour, I hope it goes well for you.