Sancta Sanctorum

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Sancta Sanctorum

Post by Kasper »

I was reading this book about Italy and it talked about a church called “Sancta Sanctorum”, I am wondering why it is called this.

I don’t mean the religious reason for it, but why SanctA? Either this is female singular or neuter plural. Since it is only one church, I don’t see why it would be plural. If it is female, then why is it followed by a male or neuter and not a female word?

Eg. if “Sancta” refers to the church, “Ecclesia”, then shouldn’t I expect Sancta (ecclesia) Sanctarum (ecclesiarum)? As being the holiest church among other churches?

Or if it means the holy place of holy places, then Sanctus (locus) Sanctorum?

Anyone?
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by amans »

I'd go for your last explanation, Kaspar. I think the "Sancta Sanctorum" is a specific part of the church: the holiest part. I'd say "sancta" was neuter nominative plural, and I think the implied word is "loca", places. "Sancta sanctorum" also refers to the pope's private chapel in the lateran.

Phylax
Textkit Member

Post by Phylax »

It appears to be the Vulgate's translation of "Qodesh Ha-qadashim",
- English 'Holy of Holies', the most sacred part of the Hebrew Temple. See, for example, http://www.latinvulgate.com/verse.aspx?t=0&b=31&c=42

Deses
Textkit Fan

Post by Deses »

Phylax wrote:It appears to be the Vulgate's translation of "Qodesh Ha-qadashim",
- English 'Holy of Holies', the most sacred part of the Hebrew Temple. See, for example, http://www.latinvulgate.com/verse.aspx?t=0&b=31&c=42
Precisely. Also, in hymnography St. Mary is often analogically compared with the Temple. Romanos the Melodist has such references in his famous akathistos.