Learning the 'best' pronunciation without a human teacher.

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Dyth
Textkit Neophyte

Learning the 'best' pronunciation without a human teacher.

Post by Dyth »

Inputs? Suggestions? Links? How did you learn your pronunciation?

Help. :(

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

Do a search for 'pronunciation' here and you will find links to sites where Latin is read allowed. You could also listen to recordings of church music, or go to a Latin Mass if you can find one (disregarding the ecclestiastical pronunciation of course, the changing of hard C into CH, for example)

Or just pretend you're a brit and pronounce like you're one. :wink:

Mulciber
Textkit Member

Post by Mulciber »

Or just pretend you're a brit and pronounce like you're one.
I don't get it.

:?:

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

That is, use the American 'long' a and so on.. see the top VS. calm discussion.

Dyth
Textkit Neophyte

Gee whiz.

Post by Dyth »

Thanks. I did most of that (just no masses :). I only hope to remember the pronunciation, and not fall back on The American Way. |shrug| I think I will go to listen to Elizabeth III's speech...

FiliusLunae
Textkit Member

Re: Learning the 'best' pronunciation without a human teache

Post by FiliusLunae »

Dyth wrote:Inputs? Suggestions? Links? How did you learn your pronunciation?

Help. :(
If you keep Spanish or Italian in mind, especially for the vowel qualities, you will be very close. That's what I do when reading Latin. You must also keep in mind the vowel lentghs (short vs. long), which at first can be tricky to accomplish, but if you read often aloud, you'll get used to it.
I personally use these sites as a guide:
Viva Voce
Excellent reading, pronouncing "ae" as /e/, though I pronounce it /aj/.

SORGLL
One of the best ones I've found, following what I believe is the most convincing Classical pronunciation. You will find a post by me regarding this in the forum.

E.L. Easton - Listen to Latin
On this page, you will find a series of links leading to sites that contain audio in Latin, among which you'll find Nuntii Latinii, with a very good pronunciation indeed, though saying "qu" as /kv/, "v" as /v/ (as opposed to /w/), among others.

Finally, I would like to get Vox Latina.

Dyth
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dyth »

Well, I've been listening and reading. I'm just not too sure if it's ever going to come to any uses, as I can't quite understand anything.
And I don't want to learn too many words before learning pronunciation, so that I would not incorrectly pronounce the words in my mind.
Arr.

And nice links. :)